UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ralves1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75598  
Subject: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I am in retirement and want my retirement funds to last 20 years, I will be using 25% of them in 0-5 years, 25% of them in 6-10 years and 50% of them in 11+ years. Should I allocate 25% “In Retirement”, 25% "Within 10 Years of Retirement” and 50% “More Than 10 Years From Retirement?" Or should it all be allocated as “In Retirement?”
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69678 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What does it mean to allocate your funds to "in Retirement"?

Personally, I wouldn't put any money I plan to spend in the next 10 years in stocks, so I'd go with a 50/50 split between stocks and fixed income for someone planning on living 20 years.

What's your plan if you live longer than 20 years?

intercst

Author: ralves1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69679 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 2:39 PM
Motley Fools "Rule Your Retirement" Model Portfolios Updated 10-3-11 describes recommended asset allocations for "In Retirement," "Within 10 Years of Retirement," and "More That 10 Years From Retirement."

If my basic premise is thought to be either correct or incorrect, that information could be applied to 20 years or any other number of years.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69681 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 3:30 PM
Motley Fools "Rule Your Retirement" Model Portfolios Updated 10-3-11 describes recommended asset allocations for "In Retirement," "Within 10 Years of Retirement," and "More That 10 Years From Retirement."

ah ... if you're retired, you're "in retirement", so you should ***Consider*** "In Retirement" Allocations --they *should* be about making your money last your lifetime.

... while considering, ask questions here* --there's several very smart people (not me) who don't always agree with MF

* anyone recommend any other boards?

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69682 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 5:30 PM

If you are subscribed to the Rule Your Retirement subscription service you should probably post in a private message board for that service. Many on this public board have not seen the report or article to which you have made reference which makes it difficult to respond without knowing the complete information or its context.
In general, however, "In retirement" means just that. Secondly I think that one should generally think of their investing portfolio in total and not in pieces. I don't think they would suggest you split up a portfolio as you implied.

Bob

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69683 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/18/2011 9:32 PM
Of course, there is the usual advice of 100 or 110 minus age in equities, rest in fixed income. I don't follow that advice. Depending on the age you retired, planning for only 20 years might be risky.

db

Author: RHinCT Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69684 of 75598
Subject: Re: "In Retirement" allocation Date: 10/19/2011 7:25 AM
"Within ? Years of Retirement" means "Within ? Years Preceding Retirement".

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement