Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: CarlErikson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: "Intent" on constructive sale Date: 11/8/1999 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

This question is similar to one I previously posted, but maybe it is a little more clear:

Suppose I hold 100 shares of MSFT long and have owned the shares since 1995. Now, because I am an unfoolish active trader, I decide to short 700 shares of MSFT for trading purposes, and not to do a "short sale against the box." I cover these 700 shares of MSFT a few days later (within the '99 tax year). Does the fact that the number of shares differ in these transactions (100 vs. 700) make any difference in terms of whether there was a "constructive sale" due to the first 100 shorted shares of the transaction? I.e., can I prove that my intent was to short-term trade these 700 shares and not touch my long-term holdings in the process?

Also, suppose the 100 shares of MSFT was at an account at Schwab but that I shorted the 700 shares using a different acount such as E*Trade... would that make a difference at all in determining whether a "constructive sale" actually occurred?

I am coming to the conclusion that "specifying" shares only really means anything when you are talking about selling long positions. The current tax-laws appear to discriminate heavily against short positions. I.e., what I'd really like to do in this situation is to "identify" the 700 share short transaction and subsequent cover as a separate trade from my long-term holdings. It doesn't appear that this is possible with the current tax laws... please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for reading this all the way through,
Carl Erikson
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement