Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Interesting. I'm surprised to see the Palestinian Territories in there. I found them to be agreeable spots.

I'd vote Johannesburg as the most dangerous city. I genuinely feared for my safety there."

I never been to Jo'Burg but I heard of its reputation. The closest I came to Jo'burg is Capetown. Capetown is a tourist destination and probably the safest city by far in South Africa. I have done some reading about Jo'Burg and I heard it was far more dangerous about ten years ago than it is right now.

There are some other cities in Africa that I have been to that are quite dangerous. I been to Monrovia, Liberia slightly after a coup in 1980...that place was and is quite dangerous...remember Charles Taylor and blood diamonds??

Lagos, Nigeria is also another place that I found developed a very high level of fear inside of me. Last but not least I have been to Abidjan, Ivory Coast in the early to the late 1980's. Now Abidjan was not super dangerous while I was there in the 80's. Abidjan had only many muggers and thieves when I was there. The Abidjan of today, though, is quite dangerous (http://www.worst-city.com/Abidjan-Ivory-Coast-ghost-town-poor-villages-crap-pictures.htm ) Abidjan could rival any city in the world on the most dangerous list.

The city that I personally feel is the most dangerous that I ever set foot in is Rio DeJaneiro. I once knew a Brazilian girl that I liked a hell of a lot that was beaten to death on the streets of Rio. It sobered me up about how dangerous the place really was.

I can pass for Brazilian and actually was crazy enough in my youth to go up into the Favelas in Rio. The girl that took me up there told me not to say any words in English while I was up there. If I did I would probably be robbed and killed. She told the people we met that I was a deaf mute. I drank some Cachaca (which is alcohol distilled from fresh sugarcane juice) with the local mafia. This girl later told me the place where she took me the police would never go to unless they came in force like a army. When they would do a raid in the favelas police would use armored personnel carriers, grenades, machine guns...it was true urban warfare just as violent as what was found in places like Iraq only it rarely makes the news here in the USA which is why most people don't really know how violent Rio really is. Yeah, it can be a bit dangerous in the tourist sections of Rio but anyone that thinks Rio ain't all that bad just take a little trip up into those Favelas on the hills and you will see conditions and violence that rivals the very worst area in the world.

Here is a blurb from a article discussing Rio:

"Just in the past 15 years, the murder rate in Rio de Janeiro has more than tripled. In 1994, over 8,000 murders were recorded and that's not the mention the rising non-violent crimes throughout the city and much of Brazil. Much of the violence seen in the favelas or shanty towns in Rio de Janeiro where much of the populace suffers from severe poverty problems. Because wealthy towns are located in close proximity to the favelas, kidnappings, rape, robbery and murder are common place. And when you span 8,000 murders out over 365 days, you get somewhere around 21 murders a day- making Rio de Janeiro one of the most dangerous places on earth to call home."

Rob S
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement