Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 315  
Subject: "irregardless" Date: 3/3/2000 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I heard about this board on the CC board, and just had to get out my biggest pet peeve!

I HATE it when someone is *trying* to sound educated and uses the "word" irregardless!!!! GGRRRRRR!!! Like, just because it has more syllables (sp) it has a stronger meaning. It not only *proves* that they are NOT educated, but it just grates on my nerves! What the heck does "not without regard" (a breakdown of the word) mean??? You only have to go as far as regardless to get your point across!!

Ishtar
(gosh, you know, that feels sooooo much better!)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AstridS Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 3/3/2000 12:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Venting here is a really good thing. I think it cuts down on some of the flaming on the other boards when we bring our gripes over here. It's got a really cathartic effect.

To keep this post on topic, I'll add another peeve. It really bugs me when people use words that they don't understand. I don't mind malapropisms (really silly confusing one word for another) because those are usually funny. I mind it when somebody is trying to impress me with their vast knowledge and then muffs a word. If you're not positive of the meaning, use a different word. We've got lots. Communicating is confusing enough. Please try to use a word that really means what you want it to.

Rant over,
AstridS

Author: bjdArch Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 3/3/2000 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
If you're not positive of the meaning, use a different word. We've got lots.

What is it you're propagating? The superciliousness of impalpable palaver, or the preposterous promiscuity of improbable portent. I am equally consternated by the profundity of this conundrum.

Constrictedly,
bjd

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 3/3/2000 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Me thinks they were fishing for "irrespective" and pulled up a shoe.

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 4/6/2000 2:51 AM
To keep this post on topic, I'll add another peeve. It really bugs me when people use words that they don't understand.

Yeah, especially when it's a politician who keeps saying "nucular", and he's about to vote a zillion dollars for it.

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 4/6/2000 2:54 AM
What is it you're propagating? The superciliousness of impalpable palaver, or the preposterous promiscuity of improbable portent. I am equally consternated by the profundity of this conundrum.

Constrictedly,
bjd

Oh! That was beautiful! That was a symphony! I love it when you talk like that!

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 4/6/2000 3:06 AM
Me thinks they were fishing for "irrespective" and pulled up a shoe.

Actually, "irregardless" was used regularly for decades in Al Capp's comic strip "Li'l Abner". Anybody over age forty probably had at least ten years exposure to the word before the strip was discontinued (I don't happen to know when that was). They still use the word because it is familiar, has a pleasant sound, and serves as an intensifier. And it is probably going to hang on at least until those old geezers have all died. Thereafter it will be remembered mainly for its historic interest, sort of like "Mairzy Doats".

Author: AnnaSaveMe Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 311 of 315
Subject: Re: "irregardless" Date: 9/19/2005 5:52 PM
Venting here is a really good thing. I think it cuts down on some of the flaming on the other boards when we bring our gripes over here. It's got a really cathartic effect.

To keep this post on topic, I'll add another peeve. It really bugs me when people use words that they don't understand. I don't mind malapropisms (really silly confusing one word for another) because those are usually funny. I mind it when somebody is trying to impress me with their vast knowledge and then muffs a word. If you're not positive of the meaning, use a different word. We've got lots. Communicating is confusing enough. Please try to use a word that really means what you want it to.

Rant over,
AstridS

For example, penultimate is not "even more ultimate than ultimate".

ASM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement