Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Is it possible to roll an active 401(k) balance to a self directed IRA without leaving my employer?"

Yes it is but it you can't rollover the whole thing as I found out recently as I am below 59 years old. It is quite convoluted. Call your plan sponsor to get the two documents you are required to read before they will let you do it.

It's not termed a rollover but a withdrawal and there are several different types of withdrawals. I made a non-hardship w/o suspension withdrawal to get some money into my traditional IRA. There are several categories your 401(k) money will fall into and you must make withdrawals from the categories successively. You also cannot withdraw any money which has been in the plan for less than two years.

Like I said, read the documents. It's very convoluted. I was disappointed to find that I could only withdraw significantly less than the total amount in my 401(k) plan without penalty.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.