UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59799  
Subject: Re: intercst a Homeowner Date: 10/14/2012 7:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"It cost less than the price of a new lexus. It wasn't worth filling out all the extra forms and paying the fees to take out a mortgage. Also, I had ready cash earning 2% in a short-term bond fund and the mortgage interest and property taxes won't be enough to exceed the standard deduction for me. Art -- as far as traveling, I'll just turn off the water at the meter and I should be good to go." - intercst
-----------------------

For me there is something psychologically and emotionally satisfying about living in a paid off house. I know it might not make good economic sense but I feel the same way about driving a paid off car. I just like the feeling of not having a monthly payment I'm responsible for. My friend John told me that responsibility rolls off me like water off a duck's back.

We have two payments that we are responsible each year, homeowner insurance and property taxes. Each one is about $840 & $890/year. After they are paid each year it's like a sigh of relief. Like Forrest Gump said "One less thing to worry about!"

One thing I'm curious about - and to be honest don't completely understand - are "condo fees"? How much are they and what if they want to raise them to an unreasonable level? I don't think I'd like the feeling of being held hostage by a condo association? What if they are a bunch of greedy snooty people who aren't as cheap/frugal as I am? I guess the answer to that one is "if I have to worry about it I'd probably best never get myself into that predicament."

One other thing, I love Florida and there are some cheap condos down in Florida. It would be completely within our budget to be able to afford a condo somewhere in Florida but I worry about traveling back and forth and also, again, paying those yearly condo fees. I've always dreamed about retiring in Florida but it probably won't ever happen for me. I have a feeling I'll be stuck in Tennessee the rest of my life.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement