UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35378  
Subject: Re: reinvest bond fund dividends or not?? Date: 4/27/2005 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"It is not as much of a pain to sell a fund in which you have reinvested dividends and capital gains as the other repliers say. Most, if not all, mutual fund companies will provide you with a record and make the calculations for you. I did this with the American Century Ginnie Mae Fund, and it was no sweat. They even separated out the short-term gains for me from the last year from the long-term gains. They did all the work for me. But I didn't realize this so I set up a spread sheet and entered the information quarterly for a dozen years."

Bruce,

Most fund companies will provide you with a "dollar cost averaging" share price, even if you just sell a few shares. I know some funds will provide a list of all the shares you bought, including reinvested dividends, when you sell the whole fund, but that doesn't matter anyway, since selling the whole fund by definition gives you the dollar cost average of shares.

The problem Paul and I are talking about has to do with selling just some shares, whether to rebalance during accumulation or gradually withdrawing money as you need it. In that case, if you want to minimize capital gains, you need to inform the fund company in advance which shares you wish to sell (which means you need a complete record or you will have to get the complete record from the company). Then, you need to fill out a complete list of the shares sold, with their purchase dates and prices, on your Schedule D. If you've been reinvesting dividends for 20 years, that's a lot of potential entries to sort through. Personally, I can handle it, but for some people the bookeeping and paperwork is too much of a pain.

Of course, there are a lot of people out there who would rather pay more taxes than fill out complex tax forms (that's how the proponents of "tax simplification" sell what will, in fact, be a redistribution of the tax burden, downward).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement