Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18154  
Subject: Re: Mustang to Shed Weight Date: 3/10/2013 1:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Just like other famous tinkerers such as Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Edwin Land, et al. One doesn't enter the Pantheon solely on one's own merits."

Im not sure Land's peers had to endure people proposed, with perhaps assumed chance of success, imagine what if Edward Land developed <insert any very different product/market> like comes up so often with Jobs. You're right - many of those guys too were idolized and brands presumed to be about more than their actual contributions. Wrt Jobs again it's an understatement that he did what he did quite well but he didn't try to do everything, nor without an enormous supporting staff of implementers, and that's probably a pretty important element to his successes. I have little trouble forgetting the things that were declared good enough that weren't nor that users were assumed to know less about what they wanted that Jobs knew (that he was sometimes right doesn't make it less arrogant).

"It would've made for a most interesting Phase Three of the industrial revolution, though, don't you think?:

No, I think that Jobs would have great difficulty winning markets across the board unless we accept "it's just a hobby" excuse when they fail to win or break even. As a product developer & patent owner I have due respect but not worship (early era Woz though was a bit worshiped by me when younger I admit, and Jay Minor of Atari & Amiga design fame, and...well to get back ontopic I could start naming Ford design stars like Najjar, Ask, Shinoda, et al but this is already straying a bit OT from the Stang weight starter).
Fun topic KennyO - cheers to ya!
B
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement