UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21118  
Subject: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 4:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was just thinking it might be fun to challenge everyone to find a tourist spot where they live that they have never visited, then ask you to go there. You can do all of the touristy things people do who visit then post a report on it here.

As has been posted by others in this thread, most people don't do a lot of exploring in their own areas simply because "vacation" seems to always involved "going away." I thought it might be fun to challenge everyone to find a spot they haven't been to then report on it.

I live near Schwetzingen Castle but have never been there in the 3+ years we've lived here. My wife and I plan to go there then I will report on it here. It might be fun and it would give readers here a nice review of a place they might not have thought of.

Calabogie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18974 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 5:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You can't turn around in these parts without bumping into someone's house, and I've only been to Mount Vernon, Monticello, and Eisenhower's farm. I did also get dragged kicking and screaming to the White House. I'll plan to do one of them, but it will have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18975 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 11:16 AM
Have you been to see "The Awakening" at Haines Point? One of my favorite out-of-the-way sites in DC.

Calabogie

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18976 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 11:31 AM
Have you been to see "The Awakening" at Haines Point?

It's gone. Sold to the highest bidder. I used to love the photos of it during a flood.

http://dc.about.com/b/2008/02/20/the-awakening-sculpture-mov...

Phil

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18977 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 5:07 PM
Unfortunately, due to the fact that I get bored easily and love traveling the little roads around where I live, I have visited all of the "touristy" areas from Columbia, SC to the mountains and back down to Beaufort.

I will say, I have a ball playing "tourist" in Charleston. I will be visiting that area at the end of the month. One of the people I will be with has never been to Charleston, so the other two of us plan to play "tourist", horsedrawn carriage and all.

Donna

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18978 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 8:48 PM
I'm retiring this month.  I want to get to the new Yankee Stadium, new Mets stadium, and make my first visit to see the Phillies at home.  I've been to Camden Yards, but want to visit the new Nationals stadium, and then maybe the Pirates as well.  Bazball.  I love bazeball.

Hockeypop

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18979 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 9:05 PM
It's gone. Sold to the highest bidder. I used to love the photos of it during a flood.

Oh mannnnn. That was a part of my trivia tour of Washington. See the Cherry Blossoms if you can and continue to Haines Point. I'd change it for whomever I was with. Coming up, a statue of a typical day in the life of a(n) ... association executive, accountant, salesman, ... then drive past the statue. Watch planes land on the opposite bank on one side and the officer's houses at Ft. McNair and the War College on the other. Even take in a polo match nearby at Potomac Park near the Lincoln Memorial or visit the Korean War Memorial. I loved that statue.

Hockeypop

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18980 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 9:12 PM
Resubmitted in readable format for my pal Hockeypop.

I'm retiring this month. I want to get to the new Yankee Stadium, new Mets stadium, and make my first visit to see the Phillies at home. I've been to Camden Yards, but want to visit the new Nationals stadium, and then maybe the Pirates as well. Bazball. I love bazeball.

Hockeypop

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18981 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 9:20 PM
want to visit the new Nationals stadium

I will never set foot in that abomination, for which they eminent domained the O St Sin Strip. The city hasn't been the same since, which I suspect is what they were going for.

Phil

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18982 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 9:49 PM
Hockeypop, you need to go down to Florida in the Spring, stay on the West Coast, and hit one Spring Training Game a day. That's why my parents moved to Zephryhills (right outside Tampa). Daddy would go to Tampa (Yankees), Lakeland (back then the Dodgers, now I can't remember what team), Haines City, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Bradenton, and would sometimes travel to the East coast and catch some teams there.

He had such a great time....

Donna

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18983 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/14/2012 10:06 PM
just thinking it might be fun to challenge everyone to find a tourist spot where they live that they have never visited, then ask you to go there

I've lived in Manhattan for over 30 years and have been to all the "tourist spots" plus lots of places that I'm sure that the tourists never go to.

Christina

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18986 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 9:47 AM
I have no idea why wordwrap isn't working for me. Must be full retirement age.

Christina -- have you branched out to the Bronx Zoo or the Brooklyn
botanical gardens? I also recently did Fire Island on a Long Island
tour, and plan to (again) take the Statin Island Ferry into the city.
The boroughs are fun too.

Donna -- Oh yeah-- Florida spring training and maybe a trip to
Phoenix/Tucson too. Great idea. We have an A league team in Trenton
(Thunder) and I want to see more of those games too.

Ahhh, so MUCH to do!

GREAT QUESTION!

Hockeypop

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18987 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 11:34 AM
We have an A league team in Trenton
(Thunder) and I want to see more of those games too.

I hear those games can be a blast, and some of the parks are beautiful. I've driven past the one in Washington, PA many times, and it looks really nice. Those teams also do a lot of kicky promotions.

Thanks for reminding me that I should take the 15 minute trip to see the Frederick Keys next season.

Phil

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18989 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 2:02 PM
I can't think of any places or things around Portland that I want to or should experience but haven't yet. I haven't been to a Blazers game but I'm not much of a basketball fan.

It's possible there are things that some of you associate with Portland that I'm not thinking of because it's become part of the background blur.

I've been to Mt. St. Helen, snowshoed on Mt. Hood, hiked the fabulous Columbia Gorge, seen the tsunami evacuation route signs in the charming seaside communities 90 minutes away, tasted wine in the Yamhill County wine country, took in the view from the top of the tallest building, marvelled at the Bonneville Dam with its fish ladder... what else is there?

--fleg

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18990 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 2:04 PM
have you branched out to the Bronx Zoo or the Brooklyn
botanical gardens? I also recently did Fire Island on a Long Island
tour, and plan to (again) take the Statin Island Ferry into the city.
The boroughs are fun too.

Yes, yes and yes. BYW _ I was raised in Brooklyn and also lived for quite a while in various parts of Queens. I'm quite familiar with "the boroughs".

You might also try the water taxi/ferry from Wall Street (and other places) over to Hoboken. Spectacular view of Lady Liberty and of the skyline -- particularly if you go around dusk or later.

Christina

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18991 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 2:58 PM
I'm in the same situation here in Phoenix. Of course, it depends on how we define "nearby". I haven't been to the Casa Grande ruins (about an hour or so from my house). I have been to the Science Museum, Art Museum, Heard Museum, etc. One big draw here is golf, but I don't golf.

Most sites of interest I can think of are not in Phoenix. There's some stuff down south (Kitt Peak, Pima Air Museum, etc), and a lot up north (national parks, monuments, and ruins).

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18992 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 3:34 PM
How about climbing Camelback Mountain? That gives us a pretty good test and the top is beautiful. HP

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18993 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 3:44 PM
I JUST put my vacation to Oregon on the powerpoint that cycles as
background to my computer.

How about that trail that starts at the Zoo (and other places) and circles the city, going up to the University (can't remember the name, but on a hill), down the tram, on the train, and then connects up in the city. Traillink.com

You've almost included distance equal to Bend and Crater Lake (well, no -- but that's AMAZING). Also take the paddle wheeler there where the fish ladder is(very touristey), visit the vineyards or go across the river to a resort in Washington that had wonderful hiking too (can't remember the name).

Hockeypop ... we vacation

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18994 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 3:59 PM
I've done Squaw Peak several times (now Piestewa Peak). Does that count? Never had the urge to do Camelback. It's usually too hot, for one. Not much shade. And the view is best at night (when the lights go on), but it's much too dangerous to hike then. Even in daytime people get hurt/killed there. The rock is not very solid.

I've also hiked in Lost Dutchman State Park a few times (wildflower season can be really lovely there). Got as far as the Saddle a year or two ago.

1poorguy

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18995 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 4:02 PM
How about that trail that starts at the Zoo (and other places) and circles the city, going up to the University (can't remember the name, but on a hill), down the tram, on the train, and then connects up in the city.

That's too long a walk for us to do all at once. We've hiked trails that start near the Zoo and I've taken the aerial tram up to the university on the hill (it's Oregon Health & Sciences University, or OHSU).

Here's one of the tram and one of a view from the tram, with Mt. St. Helen on the horizon just left of center:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/DropBox#548868037039060...
https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/DropBox#548868036300442...

From the Rose Garden in the general vicinity of the Zoo, you get views like this on the three or four days a year when it's not raining:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/FABULOUSOREGON#53257866...

And how could I forget the dahlia farm just south of Portland?

https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/Miscellaneous#543705806...

Or the Japanese Garden?

https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/Miscellaneous#543705894...

Here's Mt. Hood up close taken from snowshoes, followed by a summer shot:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/DropBox#553765817897386...
https://picasaweb.google.com/fleg9bo/DropBox#571647797207009...

--fleg, who promises to get his photos better organized soon

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18996 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 7:32 PM
Lived in Scottsdale for 10 years and never made it to the Grand Canyon before moving back east. Maybe next year on a visit.

Rich

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18997 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 8:37 PM
On our stay in Phoenix, we stayed at the Hilton on Squaw Peak (that was its name at that time). What a beautiful area. Since we were there for an investment conference, there was not much time; however, we did make it to some of the museums and drove toward Flagstaff, but didn't make it all the way before we had to return.

All in all, a lovely trip.

Donna

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18998 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 8:57 PM
Ahhh, so many Grand Canyon stories. The latest is 2002 when DW was on the national American Red Cross Board and they had their conference in Phoenix, in August, about 105 degrees average. The Acting President and I were friends and he suggested that I talk, through an interpreter, with the Vietnamese Red Cross Chair, since he had been a NVA Officer about the time we both served.

So we helped lead a tour to the Grand Canyon of the international reps and some ARC board members. Many interesting stories but eventually we figured out that in 1969 we were probably within a mile of each other. Each trying to kill the other. Over drinks we agreed we were young, dumb, and happy not to be better shots than we were. Actually he was a fairly senior NVA officer, and I was an infantry platoon sergeant. Times change.

Hockeypop

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18999 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 11:02 PM
I hear those games can be a blast, and some of the parks are beautiful

The Brooklyn Cyclones (Met's A team) play in a field just off the Coney Island boardwalk. While seating in the stands, we could see the parachute jump and other rides in Coney Island as well as the ocean. Just lovely. They also do lots of stuff for kids so it's really a great place for a family outing -- plus it's not very expensive.

And if you're lucky, you can see a major league player on rehab.

The Yankees team (the Staten Island Yankees, I think) also have a great park right near the ferry terminal at St. George, Staten Island. I've seen the stadium but have never been to a game there.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19000 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/15/2012 11:08 PM
Ahhh, so many Grand Canyon stories.

I have one.

Years ago I took a helicopter tour which went down into the Canyon. Absolutely amazing. (My travel companion wouldn't take that trip with me.)

The following year a copter crashed in the canyon and for many years thereafter they did not go down into the canyon.

Not sure if they do now.

Christina

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19001 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/16/2012 1:30 PM
Christina,

I don't believe they have been allowed to go below the rim of the canyon for many years now. I'm not sure if that's a safety thing or a noise abatement thing. But it's been the rule for a couple of decades now, I think.

I've been so many times I literally can't remember them all. Visitors come and want to see it, so off we go. Maybe 20 times now? I'm really not interested in going again, except I would like to see the North Rim (been once). And seeing the Canyon with snow is truly stunning. The contrast of the white snow on top with the reds/oranges/golds below. Cold, but stunning.

1poorguy

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19003 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/16/2012 2:00 PM
I don't believe they have been allowed to go below the rim of the canyon for many years now. I'm not sure if that's a safety thing or a noise abatement thing.

It was a safety thing after the crash that occurred the year after I was able to take a copter tour into the canyon (well below the rim).

Christina

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19012 of 21118
Subject: Re: "Local Sights" challenge Date: 10/17/2012 10:02 AM
It's gone. Sold to the highest bidder.

Wow! I guess I've been gone a LONG time. lol I hope more people get to see it where it is now. It was pretty out of the way at Hains Point.

Calabogie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement