No. of Recommendations: 0
GrayW:

What are "mechanical strategies" as in post #7?
Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
sheilaoliver,

"Mechanical Strategies" are defined procedures for selecting, holding, and selling stocks.

You start with some defined set of companies, like the 30 Dow Jones Industrials or the Value Line companies, and then filter and rank them by a fixed set of rules. You wind up with 5 or 10 companies which you then buy, usually in equal dollar amounts. You hold the portfolio for some predetermined length of time, usually from one month to one year. Then you select new stocks using the same mechanical strategy, sell the old ones, and buy the new ones.

Here's a link to the some of the popular models used on these boards:

http://www.fool.com/Workshop/WorkshopScreenExplanations.htm

And here's a link to the MECHANICAL INVESTING board where these strategies are discussed. Be warned though, the folks over there expect you to spend quite a bit of time reading old posts before you start asking questions. Be sure to read the FAQ's. If you have beginners questions, ask them here; I'll do my best to answer them.
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?id=1030013006413000
Hey, GrayWulff, thanks for the reply to sheilaoliver. That was great and exactly why I wanted this board created. Some of us have waited too long and started too late in life and we need all the help we can get. Boy, this board is going to be great!!!!

Where do I go to read the FAQs. I have trouble finding lots of things in the Motley Fool so I guess the thing to do is ask questions like this. Thanks for you input
GreyW:Many thanks for the fine info. More beginner ?s sure to follow.
Where do I go to read the FAQs?

The FAQ's, when they exist are well hidden. That's so the old timers can scream READ THE FAQ's! at the newbies. ;-)

You have to be in a screen that is displaying a message, then you will find a banner at the bottom of the page. Not all boards have FAQ's. This board does't. The FOOLISH FOUR and many others do. Click on any message then scroll to the bottom of the screen, there it will be if it exists at all.

Cheers,
GW
Advertisement