Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GrandpaRalph Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 274  
Subject: "Moving On" Date: 3/7/2005 5:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Moving on….

A week from now will be the one year anniversary of my wife's passing. An awful lot has happened in that one year.

My oldest daughter gave birth to our second grandson, Jeremy, six weeks later. Sue desperately wanted to see her “second perfect grandchild” arrive, but she just couldn't hang on that long.

About two weeks after Sue died, I found out my youngest daughter, then just barely 17, was pregnant. Her baby was born November 2nd, and after an initial decision to give the baby up for adoption, she suddenly changed her mind and decided to keep her daughter. Babies are wonderful things, but believe me, I'm way past the point in my life where a baby in the house full time is even remotely considered cause for joy. I don't get along well at all with my youngest daughter, and that bothers me a lot. She's not home much lately, leaving for days at a time, and I think (hope) she is planning on moving out soon. I know her boyfriend and her have been looking at apartments, but I doubt they can come up with the required funds. Maybe some day we will reconcile; if it were only the “baby thing” I might believe it could happen soon. At this time, I'm really not willing to write about the worst of her other disappointing behaviors.

I started getting our little vacation cottage in Northern Michigan ready for sale, now that retirement plans aren't going to go as expected, and discovered significant structural issues that need major repairs. I can't stand going to the cottage, because it represents a future that will never be, so I've hired a contractor to fix the structural issues, and have virtually no opportunity to do any progress checks. Work has been slowly progressing for 6 months now, if I can believe what the contractor tells me over the phone.

There are numerous other issues I've needed to address, which I'm sure is true for the rest of you here as well, but that's not really where I wanted to go with this post. Overall, I'm in the “looking forward” mode at this point. On the positive side, my other “still at home” daughter has been a source of pride and a pillar of strength for me. At 19, she is extremely mature, a good student in college, has won a full academic scholarship, works as a customer service rep at a bank part time, has a great boyfriend with an equally great family, and she knows where she is going both personally and professionally. And she likes spending time with dad, even if it's just a Sam's Club run or a bicycle ride. If it weren't for her, I know I would not have made it through this past year. I've grown very much closer to her, and wish I could figure out how to replicate the joy with my other one. Unfortunately, “It isn't going to happen.” would be my assessment.

Shortly before the Holidays, I made a decision to try and proactively start socializing again, but decided to wait until after the holidays to act on that decision. I suspect this is relatively “soon” by most standards. Maybe it's the engineer in me. (It's not the need for someone to get my beer for me, as was suggested in a previous thread several months ago… ☺) But I truly believe that “grieving” does not need to end before “moving on” can begin. I signed up for one of the online match services, specified my “match” criteria, and waited for the “hits” to roll in. One of my “must have” criteria was that my match also be widowed, because I really felt that “matching baggage” being carried into the relationship would help. After only 40 or 50 prospective profiles showing up in my inbox, I finally made contact with one, and after several rather long email exchanges, we had our first “date”. It is now almost two months later, and I can't imagine how things could be any better. We are extremely comfortable with each other, can talk about any and everything, including our first spouses, for hours. Or we can NOT say a darn thing for long periods, and still be comfortable. We have enough common interests that we can always find something to agree on to do…. But we have enough divergent interests that we can also almost always find something “new” for one of us.

I have no idea where this relationship is going. When I started looking for social interaction again, a pre-conceived notion was that I was looking for a wife again. I'm not so sure that's the first objective any more. I really like this new person in my life. She has been widowed for 10 years, and has been through many of the pitfalls. She has offered to help me get through pieces of the process I don't even know exist yet, with just the sincere promise of “Whatever happens, happens. For now, just enjoy what life can offer.”

And so that's what I plan to do. And I'll be happy to do it with her, for now.

I'd really like to get a sense from others here about their experiences in moving on, whether it is “dating” or “building a new life on your own”, or something entirely different.

Ralph
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement