UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736964  
Subject: Re: Worldwide Wealth Figures Date: 4/16/2002 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
"No, I think the point is that people in the un-developed nation are un-fortunated and I think businessmen and politicians in developed countries like to keep it that way. That way, they can continue to feed off the cheap labors of the un-developed countries. "

I find it amazing that people forget that the USA started out much like the "third world" countries of today- a place with low costs, minimal regulation, and a large and expanding supply of relatively cheap labor. 40 years ago, Japan was in a similar situation. 30 years ago, it was Hong Kong. 15 years ago, it was Korea, and there are plenty of other examples. These nations with cheap labor can become relatively wealthy in short order IF THEY allow it to happen (it is THEIR governments that will screw up the works, NOT international businesses trying to "keep them down"). I think its important to remember that it is better to earn $3 a day working 10 hours a day at the Nike plant than earning 25 cents a day working 14 hour days on subsistence farming.

20 years from now, some of the nations that now serve as "cheap labor" will become economic powers and their people will be much richer IF their government doesn't screw it up (my bet is on China becoming a major economic power).

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement