UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59805  
Subject: Re: A new word and definition Date: 10/25/2012 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"Now Ann Coulter is the victim of the PC police for using the word retard as an insult." - sykesix

Reminds me of when I was a kid living in Garden Grove, California way back when I was in the 6th grade. That must have been like in 1965? I went to Clinton Elementary School. We used the word "retard" as an insult too. I'm not even sure I knew exactly what it meant only that it had something to do with being goofy and stupid? We also threw around the word "homo" a lot too and I know I didn't know what that meant or entailed. We just knew it was a bad thing to be.

Also back in 1965 I remember for some reason there was a lot of animosity between the Mexican community and the white-Anglo community. We made jokes about "beaners" and and called them "greasers" and said that the reason their hair was greasy was because after they ate tacos they just ran their hands through their hair to clean them off.

It was like part of our culture being a white kid in Southern California back then. Now I have lived in the South since 1968 and it's all water under the bridge, part of my past. I rarely think of it anymore.

It was all just lessons in "duality and separation". It's not who I really am. Now my best friend is gay, I love World Music and think Latin women with dark hair and brown eyes are beautiful, and I make tacos at home all the time. What straight guy doesn't lust after Sophie Vergara?

Isn't life strange? None of that stuff I experienced as a kid defines who I am now.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement