UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: maddiemcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Re: IRA, Etc. Questions Date: 3/23/2004 9:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Now that I'm seeing that there are limits on paying into an IRA, maybe that wouldn't work, at least when we hit the limit for the year."

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you mean here - are you talking about the limit on contributions, the time limit on contributing by 4/15, or the limit on contributing to a deductible or non-deductible IRA based on income limits and whether you're covered by a retirement plan at work...............

I was refering to the limit on contribution amounts for the year. Isn't there a cap of $3,000 this year and $4,000 next year? Or is that just the amount that can qualify as tax-deductible? If that is the cap, and we wanted to put more away for retirement, then we need to start a regular investment account, right? I guess I was hoping for a one account scenario, but it looks like that won't work.

You don't allocate by percentage in an IRA the way you do for a 401K. An IRA is a totally self-directed account, like a regular investment account at a brokerage, or mutual fund company. Most have a money market account tied to the trading account. So, once you open it, you send them the contribution, and they will happily keep it in whatever money market type account they offer - and pay you a paltry .0075 or 1% annual interest - unless you direct them to buy a mutual fund or a stock with your money.

Thank you for clarifying this.

Madeline
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement