UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (137) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741038  
Subject: Re: Quote Of The Day Date: 12/28/2012 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"Ohhhhhhh yeah, I spent 18 months in The Philippines. I call it wall-to-wall poverty.

Once you've seen something like that, you'll never call people who have big screen TVs "poor" again."

That's the thing. We keep redefining "poverty" in a way that absolute standards continue to increase, but then we pretend that we aren't making any progress and that we need increasing government intervention. It's a farce.

Oh don't worry, with your policies we'll become the Philippines soon enough. Your heroes Reagan and GWB started us careening on that track.

Things you don't get:

a) we aren't the Philippines, nor do we want to become them.
b) that level of poverty is "no way out" poverty. It's a function not only of a feudal level of wealth distribution, but also a function of power distribution. Every policy you promote makes the power and wealth distribution worse here.
c) if poverty in the US has a different definition, it's because we want to set a level that isn't at the lowest of the low, a level somewhat higher than "no way out". Unfortunately for many people, it's already at "no way out".
d) measuring poverty by material goods no longer works here. We cast off perfectly good consumer goods in this country, it's no surprise that functioning fancy stuff makes its way everywhere and anywhere. But it isn't worth anything, so you can't leverage it, turn it into capital and use it to climb out of poverty.

I expect you're smart enough to understand these things, just too heartless to admit them.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (137) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement