UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: windyelliott Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308232  
Subject: Re: Student loan or Car loan: A Decision Date: 7/25/2003 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"on the job thing, I guess I fail to understand why people are worried about taking a new job. Where's the risk?"

I have a sys admin friend who recent left a job at PEC for what was going to be a great job at a new company. He was going to get promoted to managment and get a huge raise. He wasn't there longer then 4 weeks before he was laid off because of downsizing. My guess is that this is rare, but it does happen and when it happens it sucks. Luckily he was only out of work for a week before he was employed again, but in this job market he was very lucky.

I think that most of the risk with a new job is that it won't be what you thought it would be, so you get there and realize that you can't stand the folks you work for or what you are doing.

Some folks decide it isn't worth it and try to get out only to find out there is no place to go.

I have personal experience with this one. I got hired away from a wonderful company with a promise of new challenges and more money. When I got there I found out the place was a management disaster and the clients were always upset and disappointed with our work and the salesman were always selling products that hadn't been designed yet. It was a nightmare. I decided to try to get out, but found that my company had such a bad reputation that nobody wanted to hire their people! It sucked. I finally walked out and was out of work for a week before I found my current job.

I guess what I am trying to say is that new jobs are always a risk. Some industries are probably more risky then others, but I think some degree of risk is always there.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement