No. of Recommendations: 2
"Only a third expect to be "very secure" in retirement — vs. nearly half of Baby Boomers.

Older Boomers, according to the TD Ameritrade survey, are also uncertain about their preparedness, with just 47% saying they expect to be "very secure" in retirement."

I know it's academic, but here are the numbers: 1/3 (33.3%) for Gen X vs. "almost" 1/2 (47%) for Boomers. 1/3 vs. less than 1/2. Is the delta all that great?

According to Pew Research, there are 77 million Boomers and 65 million Gen-Xers (of which I'm a member).

Ergo, 36.19 million (77M x 47%) Boomers and 21.65 million (65M x 33.3%) Gen-Xers expect to be "very secure" in retirement.

Is a delta of 14.5 million significant? Maybe, I guess, depending on the context. And certainly, for those 14.5 million individuals, it's significant. But, in aggregate, is the number significant? And what's the proper context? Percentage of total US population (4.5%)? Percentage of Boomers and Gen-Xers together (10.2%)? Where do we factor in time? To wit--most Boomers must consider current/near-term (~3-5 year) returns, while most Gen-Xers must/get to factor in returns over the next 10-15+ years. Assuming generally accepted age-based portfolio allocations, in January 2017, just about anyone predicting 12-month returns would have given an edge to those invested for the short term (Boomers--presumably, bonds, cash, and other short-term focused investments) vs. long term (Gen-Xers--S&P 500, etc). But, one year and 22% later, the prototypical Gen-Xer was much better off than his/her Boomer counterpart.

With all due respect to telegraph (I know you're just the messenger), there are many ways to parse the numbers as they are reported, and I'll be damned if I know what the right one is.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement