Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We're stumped on this's the scoop:

We currently live in an AZ apartment. We also are on the title to a house in AZ & have a mortgage on it(retired parents live there though). We've both been offered 1yr+ contract jobs in VA/Washington DC area and the jobshops want to pay us some of the hourly contract rate as "per diem".

Here's the question: How much can we take as per diem and for how long?
We don't know what we will do after a year if we take positions in DC. We may just stay there a while...

We've heard rumors (from other contractors) that you can take per-diem for one year only, but is it true and is it a tax year or 12 months? On the amount, do we have to limit it to US govt "CONUS" numbers & do we keep receipts for every trip to the gas station or McDonald's?

The US treas web site is particularly confusing. We looked at pub 1524, but that just shows the CONUS answers! We're drowning in numbers....

-- drowning in the desert
b&r katz
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.