UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56895  
Subject: Re: When intercst Tires of Cruises Date: 7/25/2013 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Plus I think many heat their homes with coal, as we used to in the US before we decided to make our air safer to breathe."

The reason people heated with coal was it was the better choice between coal and wood.

My grandparents built a house in Palisade, NJ.....oh...back around 1910. Your choices for heat were

1) Wood burning stove or fire places

2) Coal burning 'furnace' in the basement that heated first and second floors.

They were 'modern' with a few light bulbs in the house!....wow!...too!

They had a coal burning stove. You had to feed it manually.....and at night, you put in some coal, turned it down, and put a couple extra blankets on the bed on cold nights .

You had to have a separate area in the basement to store the coal...you got it delivered every couple weeks by a coal truck that dumped it down a chute into to basement storage 'coal bin'.

When heating OIL.....became available as Rockerfeller developed the oil refining business.....as a byproduct...folks began to switch to oil

My grandparents switched from coal to oil about 1950.....after heating their house for 40 years or so with coal.

No stupid government rules made them switch.

it was cheaper to put in an oil burner...they were getting up in age and loading the coal stove a few times a day was work. Plus, of course, cleaning it out once a week to get out the cinders....and disposing of them. My grandparents were in their late 50ss at that time...

Plus, with an oil burner, you could have heat all night long and didn't have to get up to a cold house to throw more coal into the stove.

They lived in that house till the mid 60s..my grandfather died, then my grandmother.

People switched from coal to heating oil....because it became available, it became CHEAPER, and it was more convenient. Plus there
was less work involved to get your heat. All you needed was a once or twice a year delivery of heating oil to your tank, and maybe a once a year furnace inspection/cleaning. Oh....and it had a THERMOSTAT, too...which coal burners usually didn't have, or just had primitive ones.

Having 'cleaner air' was NOT a part of the equation.

how libs always want to rewrite the history of America is beyond me....

Maybe you should really review your own family history?

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Why is Everyone Still Earnings-Obsessed?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement