UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56830  
Subject: Re: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 10:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Plus, many employers assume if you were let-go, you must be deadwood." -FY

I am, or I was "dead wood." After years of being active, riding bikes, swimming laps, working out, diving, etc. when I was in my mid 40's I woke up one morning with painful arthritis. It literally happened overnight. Felt like I had/have two paring knives stuck in my hip joints, and my lower back has a constant dull ache.

So, I was hobbling around the UT Vet School after that and I started gaining weight because I lost focus and was inactive due to the pain; so my boss could see the handwriting on the wall and "laid me off." Her excuse was that she no longer had grant money to support my position but I'm fairly certain she could tell I was going downhill fast. So in 1998, when I was 45 years old, she laid me off.

I thought it would be easy to transition into teaching so I renewed my teacher certification which I had acquired the first time when I was an undergraduate student. Boy was I wrong. I was a disaster as a teacher. All I could think about was how much I hated it. I was a lousy teacher and the kids could tell my heart wasn't in it.

So, I just got my ducks in a row, figured out how I could make it work on what I had, and retired early in 2001 at the ripe old age of 48 years old. I had planned on working till I was 55 years old but the Universe had other plans for me. I haven't worked since April, 2001.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement