UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FleaBagger Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: "Recent Mentions" not working for me Date: 7/26/2008 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi everybody and thanks again for inviting me. I can't get the "Recent Mentions on Fool.com" thing to work on the pages I create. Does that just mean there are no recent mentions, or am I doing something wrong? I copied the text from the template, and replaced Term+Goes+Here (and absolutely nothing else) with the subject of the article. Please advise.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FleaBagger Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/26/2008 12:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
And one other thing: I get lost trying to find my way around discussion boards (they are not my natural habitat), so if you have a guiding word for me, please email your post to me.

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/26/2008 12:40 PM
If your term is a single word and nothing shows up, then it's not there. (Though remember to put a trailing plus sign after that word.)

If it's a phrase, then put the whole thing between quote marks (I use %22 because quotation marks sometimes mess it up for me) and separate the words with a plus sign.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 160 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/26/2008 12:43 PM
OK, to always be able to find a discussion board, click the red heart icon to mark it as a favorite. It will then show up on your My Fool page or on the Favorites & Replies sub-tab of the Discussion Boards tab. You can delete boards from your favorites list by clicking Customize under the Discussion Boards tab.

And here's a link to the answer I just gave your original question. http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26848689

Emailing, too.

Cheers,
Jim

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 161 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/26/2008 3:33 PM
Hey FleaBagger -- you're doing everything right with just one little issue. For some reason when you copy/paste the link from the article template page, it is pasting in a linebreak. That makes the link not work.

I fixed it on "credit crunch." You can view the differences here:
http://wiki.fool.com/index.php?title=Credit_crunch&curid=269...

See how on your revision (on the left) there was a linebreak? All I did (on the right) was remove that space and it worked perfectly.

If you check out the editing window now, you'll see how it should look:
http://wiki.fool.com/index.php?title=Credit_crunch&action=ed...

You were very close. :)

By the way, that article's very timely. Nice going!

Jeremy

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/28/2008 3:10 AM
Jeremy,

I have always gotten the line break for that section when I create a Flossary page. It may be a Mac/Safari thing. Until your posting to FleaBagger, I just assumed everyone was getting that line break and figured out that they had to hit one backspace in order to join up the "two lines" of the URL. --D

Author: TMFBiologyFool Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 166 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/28/2008 5:17 PM
The line break is built into the template on the Editing Help:Article template page so that's why you get it when you copy it over. I just assumed that it was there to highlight the fact that you need to change the search term (otherwise it's buried in the middle of the line), but I tried to delete it and it screws up the format of the page (because the line is so long) so maybe that was the method to the madness.

The added bonus is that someone can't just copy the template over and forget to change the search term.

I added this line below the template which might clear things up:
Note: you need to delete the line break between the two lines of the "Recent Mentions" (your search term should be right next to "&filter..." -- not on a second line). For more advanced "Recent Mentions" usage, check out the RSS help page.

Feel free to clean up the explanation if you can make it clearer or conciser.

-Brian

Author: FleaBagger Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167 of 597
Subject: Re: "Recent Mentions" not working for Date: 7/28/2008 8:22 PM
Thanks everyone!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement