UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Spyneyes Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7258  
Subject: Re: Club Philosophy Date: 10/21/1999 9:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"Seems to me, a true club should be more."
=======================================================
You are correct.

Joining the National Association of Investor's Corp. (NAIC) and using it's tools comes in handy especially in evaluating a company for possible purchase. You shouldn't be purchasing stocks based on, as you described, "loose facts."

Education should be a part of your club's activities, both at your meetings and by taking advantage of the courses offered again, through the NAIC.

Your weekly meetings may be part of the "problem" as well. Our group meets, like most clubs, once a month. We have two hours together and it is a very rare occurence not to need every minute of that time. Our meetings are lively with a lot of debate and opinions being bantered about. It's not ALL business, but we try to keep on a prepared agenda.

In addition I wouldn't judge your early loses too harshly. Afterall, a month is of no consequence when it comes to investing. Otherwise you're only speculating.

My understanding is that it can take a club two years or more to show a profit. Our investment group managed positive numbers in a little less time, but we were prepared that it might take quite a while. Patience comes in handy in investing and especially when starting a club.

It's way too early to tell, but, I fear that unless you get some leadership pointing your club in the right direction, and invoking some interest, you'll fail as most clubs do, again within that first two years.

The lifeblood of a good investment club is committed and like-minded members. Having a core group willing to put forth some effort at making it a success is also a necessity. If you don't have this, your destined to failure as well.

If you're not familiar with the NAIC, see their web site at:

http://www.better-investing.org/

I hope only the best for your fledgling group. Should you have specific questions, this is the place to get some answers.

Good luck!

Rick
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Starting a Club
Learn how to start and run your own club, the Motley Fool way!
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement