No. of Recommendations: 0
There's a growing list of skeptics to Obama's claim that he Skeet Shoots...And it's from both sides.

And yes, I know it's no big deal that he lied about Skeet Shooting as a hobby. But the question to ask is "why even bother to lie"? And it's not only Obama, but why do politicians insist on lying even about the smallest things. Is it their instinct to lie.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/29/skeeter-a-cnn-jou...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/28/dubious-cong...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Just to be clear: skepticism does not equal 'lie'. Even if you are skeptical, until there is a 'smoking gun' ; ) you cannot say "Mr. Obama is lying about skeet shooting."

And just because everyone is skeptical, it does not make it true or less true.

He might be lying and he might not be and right now, I would say I am skeptical as well, but I am not going to jump to conclusions.

Icemann
No. of Recommendations: 6
What a total non-issue.

Who cares how many times Obama has been skeet shooting?

And Marsha Blackburn is a disgrace.

I'd expect that sort of behavior from a teenage boy with feelings of inadequacy.. not from a Congresscritter.
No. of Recommendations: 4
There's a growing list of skeptics to Obama's claim that he Skeet Shoots...And it's from both sides.

Who the h*ll cares!!

Time to Ignore Thread.
What a total non-issue.

Who cares how many times Obama has been skeet shooting?

Then why lie about it in the first place? That's my point...why does he even bother to lie about the smallest things. He can't even tell the truth when the truth won't even hurt him.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just to be clear: skepticism does not equal 'lie'.

True, however there is a pattern of sheer dishonesty with Obama.

Considering we've seen him playing football, basketball and having water fights at the White House Pool...why no pictures of something he claims is a hobby he does all the time?

And why does the media laugh this off, but never does a follow up on ObamaKare, Fast and Furious, Benghazi and other more important issues that we know he lied on.

Who the h*ll cares!!

Time to Ignore Thread.

You're absolutely correct! Whether Obama lied about something so silly or not is not important. If he does skeet shoot, good for him. Lots of filthy rich people do that as a pastime.

I thought this comment was important though, and I'm glad Obama made it.

“Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas,”

He's directing his comments towards his most treasured voting bases.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Then why lie about it in the first place?

You assume, without evidence, that he was lying.

That is telling.
He may very well skeet shoot. If he does, I doubt he'd want to be shown doing it. Skeet shooting in general depicts a pastime of the wealthy, the elite. It's not a cheap sport as a rule, and certainly not one that Democrats want to publicize at all.

I'm pretty sure the Democrats would not like to see pictures of him shooting. It would send the wrong message to his voting base.

I'd expect that sort of behavior from a teenage boy with feelings of inadequacy.. not from a Congresscritter.

It's not her fault she'd whip his a$$ at it.
I go to the movies "all the time".

I eat steak "all the time".

I go for drives in the country "all the time".

The fact that "all the time" only translates to "several times a year", does not negate the fact that in the colloquial.... I feel comfortable saying that I do these things "all the time."

It's not lying.
It's not her fault she'd whip his a$$ at it.

She might very well.

But who cares?

And why did she feel the need to play the game "I can piss higher on the tree than he can?"

What foolishness.

Really? Then you haven't learned anything yet. If you think members of Congress can't be petty and immature, then you're lost.

There is nothing that a member of Congress can say or do that would surprise me. (Not a single one of either party).
I think you're right Bill. I doubt the President would lie about something like that, why bother? I didn't assume he lied about it when I heard it.

I wonder if he's shifted more time towards skeet to avoid being seen golfing all the time.
Really? Then you haven't learned anything yet. If you think members of Congress can't be petty and immature, then you're lost.

There is nothing that a member of Congress can say or do that would surprise me. (Not a single one of either party).

Well, I certainly agree with you there.

But it's still mindless red meat to the base... as Dope's response in this thread makes obvious.
And why did she feel the need to play the game "I can piss higher on the tree than he can?"

What foolishness.

Are you saying that Marsha can pi$$ higher on the tree than the President? I call for a pi$$ off ;)
I wonder if he's shifted more time towards skeet to avoid being seen golfing all the time.

I hope not.

He shouldn't let the idiots determine what he's going to do.

That's a game he will never win.

The goalposts will be moved on a daily basis.... not just ten yards further down the field... but to a stadium halfway across the country.

The game can't be won.

Best not to play.
She might very well.

But who cares?

What foolishness.

Who cares? You do. This is your, what, 3rd or 4th post on this?
Are you saying that Marsha can pi$$ higher on the tree than the President? I call for a pi$$ off ;)

LOL!

Still.... best not to play that game.
Who cares? You do. This is your, what, 3rd or 4th post on this?

All written in the last few moments.

Sometimes the pettiness of Washington aggravates me.
You assume, without evidence, that he was lying.

That is telling.

His lips were moving, odds are heavily stacked he was lying.

You are correct, it's telling that he's known as a liar. (As are most politicians).

As for the "without evidence"...that's not true. The evidence is the lack of evidence (I know it sounds perverse)....but the White House releases pictures of him swimming, playing basketball, reading books basically everything other than going to the bathroom. So if he says something is his hobby, why haven't we seen this or heard of it before?
Well it would be interesting. Maybe Marsha is hiding something?

Either way, I cannot for a second believe a President, especially one so wholesome and honest as Obama, would lie about something like this. So I'm not in the Obama lied camp on this matter, just for the record.

Who cares? Can anyone think of a subject that's more frivolous than this?
The fact that "all the time" only translates to "several times a year", does not negate the fact that in the colloquial.... I feel comfortable saying that I do these things "all the time."

We'd settle for proof of once a year.
Who cares? Can anyone think of a subject that's more frivolous than this?

Actually yes, there are dozens of things even more frivolous than this one.

But it is a small item, and I can't imagine him lying about it. But even if he did, can you think of any politician or candidate that's been strongly rebuked and made fun of for lying about something so inconsequential?
We'd settle for proof of once a year.

So would I... but more to the point.... it really makes no difference.
He shouldn't let the idiots determine what he's going to do.

Then he should stop taking is own advice.
Why am I reminded of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing"?
Why am I reminded of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing"?

Perhaps because you're not convinced he isn't lying?

I'm sorry Bill, I know that's not possible, and I retract that.
Then he should stop taking is own advice.

LOL!

In a very perverse way, I'm enjoying this thread.
This thread shows far more interest and wit than those dealing with Bankrupt France, our dire economy, or anything else.
especially one so wholesome and honest as Obama, would lie about something like this.

How hard was it to type that without laughing?
That's not nice to talk about our President and CIC like that.

I'm pretty sure a picture of Obama shooting will be published shortly, and then you'll feel the need to say you're sorry.

Shooting in the skeet sense, not as in armed and dangerous on the streets of Chicago.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I think this thread signifies that this board has Jumped the Shark.

Ken
Didn't laugh at all. It did make me laugh when someone asked Obama if he ever shot a gun.

Made me laugh all the more when Marsha wanted an invite to Camp David and challenged Obama to a skeet contest.

Ken

As one of the prime shark jumpers, I agree.
I think a positive can come of this. Obama flies Marsha up to Camp David for a shoot off. How incredibly bi-partisan is that? He could even televise it and use it as a fund raiser.

Game on!
No. of Recommendations: 5
<I think this thread signifies that this board has Jumped the Shark.>

I think the fact that President Obama has four more years in office is slowly sinking into the skulls of righties and as a result their whines have become even more tortured.

How long until the color of the President's shoelaces are attacked as a secret message of support to the Mali rebels?
That's not nice to talk about our President and CIC like that.

I'm pretty sure a picture of Obama shooting will be published shortly.

He's said worse of his Predecessors...why should I give him the respect he didn't give other Presidents...and frankly hasn't earned. You don't earn respect by winning an election. You earn it by your actions before and afterwards.

As for the photo...OFA is working on it now. Apparently they couldn't find an intern fluent in Photoshop.
How incredibly bi-partisan is that? He could even televise it and use it as a fund raiser.

And they can finish off the afternoon with a beer summit and tequila shooters.

This has possibilities.

________

As the person who started the thread...might I say, the board Jumps the Shark about once a week.

Sit back, put on your water skis and leather jacket and enjoy the ride.
Monkies in space II

might I say, the board Jumps the Shark about once a week.

Once a week, cj?

ONCE A WEEK?????

"Jumping the Shark" should be the name of this board.
How incredibly bi-partisan is that? He could even televise it and use it as a fund raiser.

And they can finish off the afternoon with a beer summit and tequila shooters.

This has possibilities.

He did golf with Boehner to work on a budget deal. So it's not unheard of.

I assume the only people he wouldn't want to go shooting with are Biden and Cheney. The Secret Service would probably over rule him.
ONCE A WEEK?????

"Jumping the Shark" should be the name of this board.

Let's start a petition.
Just to be clear: skepticism does not equal 'lie'. Even if you are skeptical, until there is a 'smoking gun' ; ) you cannot say "Mr. Obama is lying about skeet shooting."

But can you picture it ....

Michelle Obama ... "Whats that smell Barack! were you sneeking cigarettes outside again ... dont lie!"

Barack ..... No, No, Honest Michelle, I wouldnt lie .... the smell ... well ... ahhhh ... I was out back shoot'n skeet with my SS bros .. just ask them. And yeah, a couple of them might have been smoking so I have both skeet and cigarette smoke on me .... but honest .. I didnt lie.

Bears

I'd expect that sort of thing from Marsha Blackburn.
One wonders if similar skepticism about Chickenhawk Dick Cheney's hunting badass bona fides led him to go barrelfish shooting that one fateful day. Tough to be skeptical about the fact that Dick Cheney ever handled a gun when he damn near blew a fellow hunter's face off.

Good thing there were guns there to keep everything safe or that guy would have been in trouble.
Here is total proof of Obama's shooting:

http://thisistwitchy.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/tnr-obama-s...
Skeet shooting in general depicts a pastime of the wealthy, the elite. It's not a cheap sport as a rule, and certainly not one that Democrats want to publicize at all.

In case anybody wonders how expensive it is.....

10 rounds - $70. for shells (assuming you buy 'em at Walmart for 7 a box... more at the range). $8 per round for the clay = $150 each

Do that twice a month = $300- each.

Adds up fast .

That's a lot of basketballs.

If I were prez I wouldn't want pics of me holding a gun. Especiallly if I were a black man. Waaaay too scary for the bible belt 'folks.'
But it's still mindless red meat to the base... as Dope's response in this thread makes obvious.

Yup... The extreme righties are desperate to find a cum-stained blue dress.
Cheney should have shot more skeet
48 or so posts in and we have our first bit of raaacism!

If I were prez I wouldn't want pics of me holding a gun. Especiallly if I were a black man. Waaaay too scary for the bible belt 'folks.'

That's right. Them thar southnars don't lakkit when no black man has himself a gun. Ain't likely right.

That's right. Them thar southnars don't lakkit when no black man has himself a gun. Ain't likely right.

After the Civil War, Some States prohibited blacks, supposedly citizens with second amendment rights , from owning guns.
These States were Southern States, so it's not a fantasy remark.
After the Civil War, Some States prohibited blacks, supposedly citizens with second amendment rights , from owning guns.
These States were Southern States, so it's not a fantasy remark.

History Fail. What you mean to say is, "The democrat party dominated South didn't want black Republicans to have guns, passed laws to ensure that they never would. Then they used their enforcement wing, the Ku Klux Klan, to harass and intimidate unarmed blacks from voting,".

There. Fixed it for you. How blacks came to be 100% owned by the democrats is one of history's greatest flim-flam jobs.

History Fail. What you mean to say is, "The democrat party dominated South didn't want black Republicans to have guns, passed laws to ensure that they never would. Then they used their enforcement wing, the Ku Klux Klan, to harass and intimidate unarmed blacks from voting,".

My statement remains true. The failure to understand history is your failure.
My statement remains true. The failure to understand history is your failure.

Your statement is incomplete at best and grossly misleading at worst. Why don't you quit while you're behind?
Who were some of the Southern Democrats during the 1960's?

Jesse Helms
Trent Lott
Strom Thurmond
et al

All with strong segregationist credentials from the 1950's and 60's.
They saw that their best bet was with the Republican Party, so they jumped ship.

You know the real story, Dope. The Republican Party became the repository of the segregationist Democrats from the south.

Your statement is incomplete at best and grossly misleading at worst. Why don't you quit while you're behind?

behind? I simply made a factual statement about a region of the country, you added a political spin to it.
All with strong segregationist credentials from the 1950's and 60's.
They saw that their best bet was with the Republican Party, so they jumped ship.

You know the real story, Dope. The Republican Party became the repository of the segregationist Democrats from the south.

This is an example of a statement that's exactly equivalent to rightime's. True on its face but fraught with problems when one peels the onion.

I don't have time to post what the old FDR democrat coalition looked like, but suffice to say it isn't nearly as simple as the statement you make above implies. In fact, you've simplified the issue so far as to become insulting. Here's a hint: There's more than one reason to join the GOP. Boiling this or that down to race is stupendously dumb and only illustrates (a) a lack of understanding of the evolution of American politics, specifically those of the democrat party and (b) a willingness to believe the most shallow sound bites about your political adversaries. Point (b) is willingly put out there on PA all the time.

It's tiresome communicating with shallow minds. Before you object and post a response, consider this (if you dare): Were Southern democrats ever soft on Communism, doves on foreign policy, or receptive to trade unions? Because if you allow yourself to think about that you'll see how shallow and offensive these kinds of posts are.
No. of Recommendations: 23
There's more than one reason to join the GOP.

Of course there's more than one reason to join the GOP. I've never denied it, and you are implying that this is what I am suggesting, which I am not.

It is a consistent tactic that you employ.... falsify what someone says, and then reject your construction as the ravings of a madman.

But I never suggested that.

What I did say... was that there are so many of the southern leadership of the Republican party of the 80-90's who were Democratic segregationists in the 50's and 60's.. who then bolted for the Republican Party when civil rights became a banner carried by the Democrats.

It was Nixon's strategy to peel them away (speaking of onions).. and it was successful. Southern Democrats didn't have a sudden change of heart... they just changed parties, as any map of the current distribution of parties will quickly show you. Are former segregationists the ONLY constituency of the Republican Party? NO! But they are a constituency.
behind? I simply made a factual statement about a region of the country, you added a political spin to it.

You made a shallow statement meant to smear a group of people: That Southerners were trying to remove guns from blacks, implying that the very same southerners around today would (1) have the same attitude and (2) attempt the same thing.

Basically you tried to be clever.

Here, I'll be equally clever: "Blacks are prone to crime. You can tell because they are overrepresented in America's prison population". See the logical fault in there, or do I need to explain it to you?

You made a shallow statement meant to smear a group of people: That Southerners were trying to remove guns from blacks, implying that the very same southerners around today would (1) have the same attitude and (2) attempt the same thing.

I said that Southerners were trying to remove guns from blacks currently?
The only implications you hear are the voices in your head.
I don't need to fabricate mistreatment of black people in the south, the facts are more horrifying than simply pointing out the "Black Codes."
Of course there's more than one reason to join the GOP. I've never denied it, and you are implying that this is what I am suggesting, which I am not.

Uh, hunh. Then why stick up for the other statement? That's what you're doing by implication. Are there really so few people around here who understand communication in the English language?

What I did say... was that there are so many of the southern leadership of the Republican party of the 80-90's who were Democratic segregationists in the 50's and 60's.. who then bolted for the Republican Party when civil rights became a banner carried by the Democrats.

Which remains a shallow and silly statement on its face, as one needs to fully consider the context before blanketly assigning race as the SOLE FACTOR FOR MAKING THE PARTY SWITCH.

It was Nixon's strategy to peel them away (speaking of onions).. and it was successful. Southern Democrats didn't have a sudden change of heart... they just changed parties, as any map of the current distribution of parties will quickly show you. Are former segregationists the ONLY constituency of the Republican Party? NO! But they are a constituency.

Egads. Put the shovel down already. How come the South kept electing democrat governors and Congresscriters until recently?

Seriously. This kind of "analysis" - 3rd grade - is exactly what's wrong with the political discourse today.

Even if I took your statement at face value it fails under even the smallest test: Why did Thurmond, Helms, et al. renounce segregation when the joined the GOP if it in fact stood for racial intolerance?

Again. Massively offensive. I'm getting sick of otherwise bright people refusing to think.
I said that Southerners were trying to remove guns from blacks currently?
The only implications you hear are the voices in your head.
I don't need to fabricate mistreatment of black people in the south, the facts are more horrifying than simply pointing out the "Black Codes."

English is clearly not your first language. Grade? Fail.

Heck, you don't need to fabricate mistreatment of black people in 2012, 2013 Orange County CA.
Icemann11 says

He might be lying and he might not be and right now, I would say I am skeptical as well, but I am not going to jump to conclusions.

I bet he's shot more skeet than Dubya ever flew airplanes.
Advertisement