Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
An age-old expression being used in written form by those who've never seen it in print (or given any thought to what it means).

One example often seen on the boards:

"For all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes"

Other examples?

Jeanie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 11:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The other day, somebody on Dumpster Divers (I think) used the phrase "pat rat."

And then there's "wala" -- it took me quite a while to figure out that that was really "voilà."

phantomdiver

Author: TMFBro Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 12:57 PM
I must admit that, for a while, I thought the Smithsonian museum dedicated to flight was the "Aerospace Museum" rather than it's real name, the "Air and Space Museum." Duh.

Author: Dwalin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 1:15 PM
I must admit that, for a while, I thought the Smithsonian museum dedicated to flight was the "Aerospace Museum" rather than its (sic) real name, the "Air and Space Museum." Duh. TMFBro

Its is possessive, it's is a contraction; i.e., it is, it was, not belonging to it.

An entire museum devoted to those guys? Now that's just sad. Oh, wait, that's Aerosmith, not Aerospace.

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 1:49 PM
An entire museum devoted to those guys? Now that's just sad. Oh, wait, that's Aerosmith, not Aerospace.

LOL!

It'd have to be in Cleveland, anyway, wouldn't it? Near the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

phantomdiver

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/5/2001 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
And then there's "wala" -- it took me quite a while to figure out that that was really "voilà."

What really annoys me about this one is that "voila" doesn't start with a "w" sound anyway. It's more like "vwala." My DH says it more like "wala" (more like "whala" actually") and it drives me just batty! (I took French for many years and visited the country a few times, and I always heard it with a v.)

Selphiras

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/6/2001 9:28 AM
"Excuse me, while i kiss this guy" instead of
"Excuse me, while i kiss the sky."

In memory of Jimi Hendrix.

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/6/2001 9:59 AM
"Excuse me, while i kiss this guy" instead of
"Excuse me, while i kiss the sky."

I love those! See www.kissthisguy.com for more! Also http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14933797

phantomdiver
(there's a bathroom on the right)

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/6/2001 10:06 AM
HAR!

Though some of those seem a bit forced. Anyone can take a lyric that's easy to understand and make up a new phrase that fits with the syllables and vowel sounds. It's funniest when you actually hear people singing what they believe to be the true lyrics.

Many a confused teenager has been perplexed when pondering the image of Jimi Hendrix kissing another guy!

Also funny--when someone gets all excited when they hear REM's "End of the World as We Know It" come on and they start singing full force only to start mumbling three lines into it--when they can no longer keep up with Michael's singing. "Tommy Boy" has the ultimate parody of this experience. It's funny 'cause it's true!

Author: TMFBro Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/6/2001 12:02 PM
Its is possessive, it's is a contraction; i.e., it is, it was, not belonging to it.

LOL. I couldn't be more embarrassed. It just goes to show that:

1) Many of these mistakes are due to carelessness, not ignorance.
2) You can't edit your own writing effectively.

Ignominiously,
Bro

Author: Dwalin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/6/2001 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'm just talking about people who do this over and over and over and over and over because they don't know any better, not people who don't usually do that and were typing fast and didn't notice.

Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/14/2001 4:08 PM
I must admit that, for a while, I thought the Smithsonian museum dedicated to flight was the "Aerospace Museum" rather than it's real name, the "Air and Space Museum." Duh.

A friend once told me that for years she thought it was the 'Pulit Surprise.'

Sometime I think it'd be a nicer world if it was.

Author: Bugfart Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/14/2001 5:11 PM
Recommendations: 3
A friend once told me that for years she thought it was the 'Pulit Surprise.'

Now that's funny.

I'd also like to inject another thought into the discussion. I also noticed that spelling and grammar has gotten worse. My theory is that through the proliferation of e-mail, written communication has reached a level of immediacy that traditional media lacks. If you examine content, e-mails tend to be a typed version of the spoken word - we've lost a lot of formality in order to gain speed. Writing has gotten sloppy and even if most software provides a spellcheck, people hardly ever use it.

BTW, I love e-mail.

Bugfart

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/14/2001 5:21 PM
a level of immediacy that traditional media lacks. If you examine content, e-mails tend to be a typed version of the spoken word

Traditional media? Please don't include newspaper articles in this - I have long lamented the run-on sentences and lack of structure in news articles!

Jennifer

Author: Bugfart Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/14/2001 5:29 PM
Traditional media? Please don't include newspaper articles in this - I have long lamented the run-on sentences and lack of structure in news articles!

Newspapers are of Shakespearian nature compared to some of the e-mails I get...

Bugfart

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/15/2001 9:03 AM
If you examine content, e-mails tend to be a typed version of the spoken word - we've lost a lot of formality in order to gain speed.

I personally think that's appropriate. I view e-mail correspondence in a very similar light to casual verbal conversations. I'm an innately superior speller ; ), so i almost never misspell words (God forgive me for my typos), but i often throw grammar out the window. Run-ons, incorrect capitalizations, missing punctuations, using slang...all crimes i'm guilty of in email.

But when i'm writing a formal letter, or when i was writing papers for school, i did it up right. I think that's a healthy distinction. Email is typically nothing more than a typed conversation, on the same level as having a talk during lunch.

Author: czeslaw2 Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/19/2001 11:07 PM
My students used to tell me that they took it for granite that we live in a doggie-dog world.

Catherine

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/19/2001 11:27 PM
Recommendations: 3
My students used to tell me that they took it for granite that we live in a doggie-dog world.

For all intensive purposes, we do. Wala!

I heard somebody say "It's half of one, six dozen of another." LOL!

phantomdiver

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/20/2001 8:34 AM
"I heard somebody say "It's half of one, six dozen of another." LOL!"

The correct phrase is "six on one hand, half a dozen on the other," no?

Well i sometimes use it and shorten it slightly to "six to one, half a dozen to the other." I think that's how my dad always said it. It bugs the stew out of my wife because she says it sounds like i'm giving a ratio (6 to 1), not stating the equivalence of two alternatives (though she doesn't state her annoyance quite so eloquently : )

Author: leeterry Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/20/2001 9:02 AM
"I heard somebody say "It's half of one, six dozen of another." LOL!"

Well i sometimes use it and shorten it slightly to "six to one, half a dozen to the other." I think that's how my dad always said it. It bugs the stew out of my wife because she says it sounds like i'm giving a ratio (6 to 1), not stating the equivalence of two alternatives (though she doesn't state her annoyance quite so eloquently : )

I've always said (and heard, iirc): "It's six of one, [or] half a dozen of the other."

Terry
... finds he proofreads more carefully here, lol ...
... raises his hat to those who founded this board ...

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 11/20/2001 11:30 AM

Ordinarily, I hear "six of one, half a dozen of the other," meaning that it's like the difference between six and half a dozen, but I'm sure that your phrasing is perfectly clear, also. Though I do see your wife's point . . . ;-)

phantomdiver

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 98 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 12/2/2001 9:37 PM
"Common cents" instead of "common sense"

- ShelbyBoy

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 12/2/2001 9:39 PM
Email is typically nothing more than a typed conversation, on the same level as having a talk during lunch.

I use email in communications with clients and I try to avoid being casual.

ShelbyBoy

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 12/2/2001 9:40 PM
Knights and Daze!

Seymore... . {-:

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 109 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 12/3/2001 9:06 AM
For a long time, the TGIFriday restaurant in my nearby city had a sign that was cast in bronze or a some other metal that read:

We do not except personal checks over fifty dollars.

The last time I was there I saw that they finally corrected it.

prime13

Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116 of 13999
Subject: Re: "Sounds like" irritants Date: 12/3/2001 12:26 PM
I had a friend say to me yesterday: 'She falls in love at the drop of a dime.'

--mapletree

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement