UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: acpawlyk Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75636  
Subject: Re: Which retirement fund to fund? Date: 11/1/2003 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"The old loan is a consolidation loan; it once was three separate loans. The interest rate is the weighted average of the three individual loans. I don't know how to refinance an educational loan. I've looked around the Web for that kind of information but have never found anything useful."

You basically cannot refinance educational loans. You can consoliate and lock in your variable rate ones, that's about it. That's the drawback to those government backed Stafford loans. I don't know why, but I think it is to protect lenders from having to worry about someone making a deal on the interest rate and everyone flocking to the company. You can switch companies, but the interest rates remain the same. The good sides is that you can get them in the first place, they are deferable under many situations (especially if you got them after 1993), and if you ever really can't pay them, they can't take stuff away from you (but it will effect your enrollment in a lot of government plans).

The only other choice would be to take out private loans to pay off the government backed ones, but I don't know what kind of interest rate you can get on loans with essentially no collateral.

There is something ironic about having to take out loans at a high interest rate to get an education because the economy is rocking, and then having to pay back that high interest rate when the economy is down.

I did manage to get the interest rate on mine down from over 8% to 6.25% when I consolidated. I wish I could have held off longer, but I just couldn't do it.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement