No. of Recommendations: 1
"These would imply that a portfolio 10%-15% higher than the above minimum is all you need."

Rayvt,this is what I was looking for. Paul Merriman recently wrote an article in AAII entitled, Solving the Problem of Retirement (http://www.aaii.com/journal/article/solving-the-problem-of-r...). He suggested we diversify (check), have a variable distribution strategy (check--plan to use an endowment approach to drawing, but starting off with the 4% amount), and save more (okay, but he seemed to suggest saving another 50% above what we'd need, which is a little ridiculous, but I get the point). The problem is you need a buffer to build in over your budget. The question is how much. Here, the concept is a comfortable margin, and you are suggesting 10-15%, which resonates because it's based on FIRECALC (darn, why didn't I think of that).

Regards,

Ken
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement