UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59131  
Subject: Re: Who Killed The Electric Car? Date: 9/14/2012 1:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"They cynical part of me thinks that Bush and the Republicans were in favor of hydrogen (and still are in fact) so they could say they were in favor of "green" energy, but would never have to actually make any progress in that area. "

I'd bet just as many if NOT more greenie lib progressives were in favor of it.

On the other hand, in 20-30 years when oil gets scarce, when we have used up most of our NG.....there may be a reason to investigate other 'carriers' of energy.

Since hydrogen is scarce in gas form......you have to make it from something, usually H2O. That takes energy. Thus, you are merely using the hydrogen gas as a 'carrier' to carry energy, but unlike electricity, it is a good transportation fuel.

WHo knows? in 40 years you might have to think of running trucks and planes and other untethered vehicles with something else.

if you ever get over nuke-a-phobia and built 100 thorium reactors, you could run much of the country on hydrogen based fuels....maybe methanol or something else.

Unless battery technology ramps up to 10x more than today...economically...it might not have much of a future. But who knows?

The main problem with the hydrogen economy dream is that no one could make affordable reliable fuel cells......,.

And it was just as many greenies as others pushing it....and I suspect 10x more greenie eco-whacks.....

Yeah..we wasted some research money on hydrogen but not the billions Obama has thrown down the solar drain.

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement