Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"...They sell their inventory and receive the cash from the customer before they have to pay the vendor. (Usually 30 days). This means that as Costco opens new stores they generate a positive cash flow from their vendors and their customers. Nice trick this. And it is something that other retailers can only dream about. Costco turns their merchandise12.1 times last year, versus 10.5 times at BJ's, and much slower rate at other traditional retailers..."

From the above statement, its seems to me that you are saying that a new store finances itself upon opening due to the rapid inventory turns. I agree that one of Costco's secrets is inventory turn. I was wondering though if the "new" stores are really cash flow positive right away. Since Costco really doesn't advertise, wouldn't there be a ramp up period for sales before a store became cash flow positive, and thus new stores could not pay for themselves, BUT existing stores could probably finance the new stores until they are mature enough to pay for themselves.

yofluke

(Long on Costoc)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement