Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120809  
Subject: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 103
Which is Foolspeak for "We laid this TMF off." Unfortunately, that is what you will find if you check out TMFExRO's Profile -- Phil Marti has been given the axe.

This is part of a general 1/3 layoff that the Foool announced today. (I was trying to write "Fool", but my finger slipped. On reflection, I'll let it stay as is.)

I have to say this is one of the most boneheaded of personnel decisions I have heard of. Anyone who has gone through a layoff, either as a participant or an observer (I've been both) knows that difficult decisions have to be made. However, when you axe one of your most valuable employees in the first round, other people, like me, wonder if you, the Foool, truly understand what value is.

As we know, a bunch of pros, and some interested amateurs like me, spell Phil and Roy from time to time. (Roy is still "active" today at least.) My protest will be a boycott of responses to this board, formerly my favorite of all.

James A. Boa
JABoa
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VegasBill Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45986 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 6:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I agree wholeheartedly of which you speak. I feel the tax audiance will loose a valuable resource.

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45987 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 7:04 PM
Recommendations: 10
JABoa: This TMF Profile is Inactive"

"Which is Foolspeak for "We laid this TMF off." Unfortunately, that is what you will find if you check out TMFExRO's Profile -- Phil Marti has been given the axe."

I was hoping that it was not so.

"I have to say this is one of the most boneheaded of personnel decisions I have heard of. Anyone who has gone through a layoff, either as a participant or an observer (I've been both) knows that difficult decisions have to be made. However, when you axe one of your most valuable employees in the first round, other people, like me, wonder if you, the Foool, truly understand what value is."

HEAR, HEAR.

"As we know, a bunch of pros, and some interested amateurs like me, spell Phil and Roy from time to time. (Roy is still "active" today at least.) My protest will be a boycott of responses to this board, . . . ."

I fall into the interested amateur category, too, and while Roy may still be active vis-a-vis TMF, I believe that Phil has carried the day to day load for awhile on this board, and with uncommon graciousness and dry wit. I, too, will not provide any assistance (such as it is) on this board until ????

Regards, JAFO

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45988 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 7:16 PM
Recommendations: 5
I was wondering about the inactive profile. Then I saw the news this evening. This is a great loss for this board and, in my opinion, the greater Fool community.

Most of you know that the Fool just started an online seminar on taxation. Phil wrote lessons 9 and 10. The seminar will be that much the worse off without him.

I know I'll miss him.

Ira

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45990 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 7:25 PM
I'll miss him.

Ditto. I imagine Phil will still be able to be found from time to time via http://www.deja.com/group/misc.taxes.moderated --

Phooley in Phoenix

Author: MrKTabb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45995 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 7:39 PM
Recommendations: 12
ARGH!!! Phil is GONE!!!! Damnit!! He has been so helpful to me over this past year.

@#&!!*$#&@!$#$!&*$!#$!!!! ARRRRRGH!!!!

--Kaylin

Author: L2J Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46000 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 8:48 PM
Oh man, this is a LOSE! Loosing a dear friend that you would look for and could depend on. I've said it before and now I'm sure not often enough, THANKS PHIL. You are missed!

HaGGD, L2J

Author: kse4 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46001 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 17

They did WHAT? To the most valuable person on their most useful & high-volume board? At the start of "tax season"?

Are they out of their minds? This is d-u-m-b.

How can people who can't intelligently run a service site expect the public to turn to them for guidance with their financial decisions? Heck, this is even a bad BUSINESS decision.

Baffled, and not a little ticked off--

kse4

Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46002 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 10:36 PM
Recommendations: 8
Just a MAJOR "Thanks" to Phil for all his help. If it wasn't for his educating me on capital gains taxes I wouldn't have been able to make the decision to retire this summer.
I would have paid a subscription fee to TMF to keep it running as normal.
Who ever made these lay-off decisions have hurt a lot of long time Fools today.

Phil, you were (and still are) one of the best!!!
Thanks,
Jim

Author: teedup1 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46003 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 10:42 PM
AGREE! This is awful! I've looked forward everyday to reading and learning from Phil's direct and concise responses to all sorts of questions. He was one I could trust to be right! This is a tremendous loss and a very foolish (no caps) mistake in my opinion.

Winni

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46005 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 11:13 PM
Recommendations: 15
Just tuned in after a long evening and was shocked to hear about the loss of Phil (and offended by the phony, not Foolish, "profile inactive" notice). Phil was a tremendous asset to the Fool and one of the few staff members whose views I took seriously. At this point, I believe it is the discussion boards that provide the best information on the Fool, and when it chooses to fire one of its best contributors, it runs the risk of becoming just another dot.com stock site. These are hard times for internet businesses. The choice to imitate network TV and rely on ad revenues instead of subscriptions has turned out badly. Even the Fool is not immune. But it needs to be careful or it will lose its loyal participants.

Author: DJWKLW Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46007 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/8/2001 11:27 PM
Recommendations: 16
Phil Marti was the major reason I lurked on this board. You knew that no question was considered "dumb", and he did yeomans work responding with concise, courteous answers.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Fool...this time your the fool.

DJ

Author: YNBigFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46009 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 2:12 AM
<Phil Marti was the major reason I lurked on this board.>

I'd like to second that. I would have emailed Phil myself, at his personal email address, but I'm afraid he'd feel spammed. So Phil, thank you very much for all the great advice you've given here. And to the Motely Fool management team - it's not that you just did a very foolish thing. It's plain dumb.

Phil was still active today at the Deja.com tax board. I have a feeling I'm going to go there when I do my taxes this year.

YN

Author: c130king One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46017 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 8:15 AM
Recommendations: 3
Just wanted to DITTO what everyone else said!

Phil, thanks for all of your help (and your patience with all of us fools).

c130king

Author: rensimer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46023 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 9:12 AM
Recommendations: 10
The new bookmark to replace http://boards.fool.com/Post.asp?mid=
(Fool.com's Tax Strategies discussion board) is
http://www.deja.com/bg.xp?level=misc.taxes
(where Phil Marti has recently been sighted!)

WTR

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46025 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 10:11 AM
Phil Marti was the major reason I lurked on this board

Same goes for me. I will miss him. In fact. I already do.

Louise

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46030 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 10:39 AM
It looks like I'm not the only one who will miss Phil's unique style of Foolishness fielding the diverse questions on this board. As I recall Phil was an active participant before being a TMF so hopefully we'll still get some help from him. What a loss. ed

Author: Elvis72 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46034 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 11:10 AM
THANK YOU PHIL!!!

Also, many thanks to those who gave the link to deja.com. If that is where Phil will lurk, so will I.

Thank You (Phil), Thank You Very Much.

-Elvis72

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46037 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 11:30 AM
I'm also sorry to see Phil Marti go. He's been most helpful and I've learned a lot from his post and enjoyed his wit.
Phil did his thing without pay long enough to have earned a big red star before TMF started paying him some for what he did. I'm sure he attracted lots of folks to the discussion boards and to the Motley Fool site; I'm certainly one who kept coming back to learn and sometimes to throw in my 2c. If I made a mistake, I got corrected quick!
Obviously, if there are no hard feelings about the whole thing, we'd be delighted to see him come around.
Also clearly, TMF ran into the financial problems rampant among dot.com's in this environment. I checked a bunch of profiles last night looking for a pattern. It seems most of those let go were of the Alexandria VA group; tougher for them if it was fulltime employment. As far as I can figure Phil's duties were monitoring boards for tax questions and writing for seminars such as the one in progress now on taxes. I'm sure there wasn't any question of competence or not getting along with anybody. Somebody figured what he was doing didn't generate revenue, and probably that is true.
I'm still sorry this decision was made. It would be tough to come do for free what one was formerly paid to do, so if we are looking for tax help it seems now TMF is not the place to go.
It was fun while it lasted. Chris

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46040 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 7
Crosenfield: "I'm also sorry to see Phil Marti go. He's been most helpful and I've learned a lot from his post and enjoyed his wit."

HEAR, HEAR.

"Phil did his thing without pay long enough to have earned a big red star before TMF started paying him some for what he did. I'm sure he attracted lots of folks to the discussion boards and to the Motley Fool site; I'm certainly one who kept coming back to learn and sometimes to throw in my 2c. If I made a mistake, I got corrected quick!

As far as I can figure Phil's duties were monitoring boards for tax questions and writing for seminars such as the one in progress now on taxes. I'm sure there wasn't any question of competence or not getting along with anybody. Somebody figured what he was doing didn't generate revenue, and probably that is true."

Chris: I believe that your conclusion is incorrect. Phil brought alot of eyeballs here, and hits matter to advertisers. There was also real discussion here without alot of the Off-Topic poasts and flamewars on many of the other TMF boards.

"Obviously, if there are no hard feelings about the whole thing, we'd be delighted to see him come around.
Also clearly, TMF ran into the financial problems rampant among dot.com's in this environment. I checked a bunch of profiles last night looking for a pattern. It seems most of those let go were of the Alexandria VA group; tougher for them if it was fulltime employment. [relocated]

"I'm still sorry this decision was made. It would be tough to come do for free what one was formerly paid to do, so if we are looking for tax help it seems now TMF is not the place to go."

Especially if the other "regulars" move to another location. As much as I like Roy (TMFTaxes), it seems unlikely that he intends to return to being the day-to-day pro on this board and keep up with the volume --- especially between Now and APRIL 15.

"It was fun while it lasted."

That it was.

JAFO

Author: EditorialWe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46041 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 11:46 AM
Recommendations: 8
I can't believe it.

Nooooooooooooo! Not TMFExRO!

Dumbest thing the Fool's ever done, in my opinion.

EditorialWe

Author: jeffatkins One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46044 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/9/2001 12:06 PM
Recommendations: 4
I"m outta here... cancelling my fool registration... Phil, send me an email (jeffatkins@aol.com) if they ever come to their senses! I'll re-register...

laterz....

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46315 of 120809
Subject: Re: "This TMF Profile is Inactive" Date: 2/13/2001 2:32 AM
Recommendations: 0
I certainly know that Phil is back, and welcome (as pmarti) as an active poster on the TMF boards.

But I posted a link recently, to a website that was pretty reliable, for quite a while, to allow access to Usenet newsgroups, where Phil Marti has long been an active participant: www.deja.com

Well, as of now, these links are no longer working. They may come back soon, but for the time being, they are out of order.

Phooley in Phoenix

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement