No. of Recommendations: 3
"This was just a rant on my part. I was venting the frustration I felt at having to pay so much for a few books. I have 24 classes to take just for the bachelors. The dough comes out of my pocket and $265 for every two classes is going to add up.",

Vile:

I feel your pain, buddie. Those text books cost a fortune. One reason is there aren't very many of each one printed...(many Professors like to recommend their own book 'cause they get the royalties. Talk about your captive audience!) Also, books in some subjects can become obsolete pretty quick so the book doesn't get recycled.

One of the most considerate professors I ever had used a text for his class that was like 1200 pages. He had written the book himself and no other university in the world used it. His name was Carl U. Smith and he taught Industrial Psychology at the University of Wisconsin. The the book represented his life's work and IMO contained some very unique theories about society, men and the machines they create and interact with. He did a lot of cybernetic research for the space program on the side and had several mainframe computers in a lab in the basement of a Drug Store on University Avenue in Madison.

To keep the costs of his book down for his class, Professor Smith had his book printed in soft cover in the cheapest possible manner at a local print shop and waived all royalties. I think the book was less than $10 as a result.

He was a teacher because he thought it was important. It wasn't about a few cheesy book royalties or the consulting $$$ and grants he could get on the side. When I did my research study for his class (It was about seeing if children could leapfrog certain stages of development noted By Stafford-Benet if they were taught to recognize shapes with methods involving "tactile tracking)....anywhoo, I couldn't find subjects so he let me do the study at his house using every kid in his neighborhood as a subject.

He was one of those damned liberals. You would have hated him, Vile.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement