UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454760  
Subject: Re: Cookie Monster Conversations Date: 9/7/2013 7:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"Tim's Vermeer," a documentary directed by the Teller of Penn & Teller.

Vermeer is my favorite painter, Mark Rothko is my second favorite - both so different, yet both evoking feelings of well-being in me.

Whenever we are in Europe doing the "Museums and Cathedrals" of whatever town or city, I always try to see if there is a Vermeer in residence in the local gallery. Since fewer than 35 undisputed Vermeers are in existence, one must take pleasure just one or two (or sometimes, three) at the time.

One of the singularly happy days of my life took place in the Spring of 2001, when the Metropolitan Museum of Art held a monumental exhibition entitled "Vermeer and the Delft School," with 15 Vermeers, including many borrowed from Europe for the first time.

That day, DW and I lingered over 15 Vermeers at the Met, followed by the 3 native Vermeers at The Frick Collection, for a total 18 Vermeers in one day.

http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/press-room/exhibit...

After seeing more than half the Vermeers in the World in just one day, I still retained my preference for a single favorite picture of all: "Portrait of a Young Woman," which is permanently housed in Room 12 at the Met. I am absolutely filled with pathos, empathy, and agápe (love) every time I visit this young Vermeer girl. See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_a_Young_Woman_(Verm...

Although "my young girl from Room 12 at the Met" is always considered a lesser masterpiece than the universally acclaimed "Girl With a Pearl Earring..." See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_with_a_Pearl_Earring

My young girl may not be as beautiful from an objective viewpoint, but from a subjective viewpoint, she is the most beautiful girl in the world. I can see the kindness in J. Vermeer's own face as he painted my young girl. In the very act of painting her portrait, the artist was able to convince this young girl of her worth and beauty. The joy of the artist's attention measures on her face.

I can never thank Mr. Vermeer enough for immortalizing those moments he spent with her.

;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement