UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: methree One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748976  
Subject: "to combine" or "not to combine&q Date: 12/8/1999 4:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I will be starting early withdrawal of our IRA next year through the 72(2) withdrawal per:

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/8257/wdraw59.html

We are going to make the withdrawal as high as possible to get the money out of there by the time we die or earlier.

we have two accounts that were the $2k type that were contributed out of post-tax dollars. Obviously we don't want to combine these with the pre-tax dollar type of IRA's. My wife has two IRA's rollover accounts and I have four IRA rollover accounts. These were rolled over in the past years from either 401k plans, SEP plans, KEOGH plans, and Simple IRA plans.

The questions is whether we combine my wife's two rollovers into one and start early distributions and combine mine four rollover IRA into one and start distributions.

Since our goals is to start cranking money out of them as much as we can since there is a possibility we may
die before the money runs out, that we combine them
and then make a once-a-year withdrawal. This will have
the advantage of saving bookeeping time for the withdrawal calculation as well as minimizing the number of faxes and letters we need to send to Schwab. However once we automate the calculation for our needs, it is
only a matter of running the spreadsheet yearly.

Any pro's and con's of whether to combine IRA or NOT to combine them prior to distribution.

I would be interested. I'm inclined to combine then distrubute. I also have to check with my accountant so see if there is any disadvante to combining IRA's that originated as 401k and rollover IRA that originated as SEP/KEOGH and rollover IRAs that originated as SIMPLE IRA's.

Hope this has explained the situation.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement