UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749500  
Subject: Re: Human Brain-worms! Date: 5/11/2013 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"When I was a kid my mom had this habit (or whatever you'd call it). After arriving home from the supermarket, if she'd bought ground beef she'd always take a hunk of it and eat it raw before making it into patties and storing it in the freezer. She'd always give me a hunk to eat raw, too. It must have been a family tradition, because I noticed that when I was visiting my Aunt Carol and went grocery shopping with them, she'd do the same thing after arriving home. Nobody ever got tapeworms." Andrew
-------------

Yeah, my mom made "beef tartar" but I wasn't that crazy about it. It was raw egg, minced green onion, coarse cracked pepper, and a little salt. It's supposed to be real lean ground beef. Like ground round. I thought it was a German thing.

I think because we live in a more temperate climate and have more land, and the animals aren't as crowded and kept in as filthy conditions as in 3rd world tropical countries there are less parasites. Warm tropical countries are notorious for having internal and external parasites and pathogens that will infect you.

My brother's second Indonesian wife had human roundworms (ascarids) when she came over here. She had to take worm medicine. It was something she picked up in Indonesia. Probably had all her life till she moved here.

Underdeveloped tropical countries are nasty. BIL picked up something in Ghana that infected his eye. Was under his eyelid. It was while he was over there on the Water Well project digging wells in sub Saharan Africa. Trying to eradicate guinea worm.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement