UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: imdajunkman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35272  
Subject: Re: OT: A Security Rant Date: 6/25/2006 10:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Why trust MS - source of most bugs - for a security solution?
I bought Zone Alarm Scurity Suite, rather than the free download. I figure you get what you pay for <unfortunately>."

PolymerMom,

I avoid the security suites (ZA's or anyone else's), because I refuse to run virus software (because of the "sludge" they introduce and the performance hit they impose). I've never been tagged with a virus, worm etc., due to always using a firewall and always practicing safe computing. Removing spyware/adware is mainly a matter of removing cookies and deleting internet files which can be done within Windows, rather than using a dedicated program. So I don't use any of the features a security suite provides except the firewall, and because I'm running a firewall on multiple computers, it makes sense to use the free version rather than buy multiple licenses.

But ZA will stop updating the their firewall for Win9x/Me in any version, so I'm going to have to migrate to another product and/or another OS, etc.

I loved DOS and a command line OS. So Linux is attractive to me. But too many of my key, financial programs only run under Windows. Yeah, I could explore running them under WINE, etc. But the easier default solution is to concede to MS the OS and desktop and just deal with its known problems. But the days on my depending entirely on MS are coming to an end, because I'm not willing to buy multiple linceses of XP, and then the next "upgrade" (Longhorn/Vista), and then the next. These days the Open Source movement has apps for nearly any need or purpose, so much so, that MS could be bypassed. It's mainly laziness that would keep one from doing the mitgation, not a lack of apps.

Charlie

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement