UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35397  
Subject: Re: Buying bonds in the District of Columbia Date: 2/15/2006 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"With the fairly high local tax rate here, would I be better off buying some sort of tax advantaged bond? Would anyone be so kind as to give me a quick overview about those guys? Does buying "munis" or "t-bills" or whatever-else-kind-of-bond even make sense if I'm only talking amounts around $500 a month?"

With anything short term, things change so fast that the best choice today may not be tomorrow (as with teaser rates). Unless there is some kind of DC specific muni money market, that probably isn't an option (you need more liquidity for an e-fund than muni-bonds). Short term t-bills or possibly a money market that gets interest from t-bills and gets you exempt from local taxes might work (I'm not sure if Vanguard's Federal Money Market is all or mostly exempt from local taxes, but worth checking).

Of course, even if you can get a good enough yield to beat the 4.32% or so you're getting after DC taxes, you have to decide if it's worth the hassle to bid on T-bills. .3% on $10,000 is $30, and I doubt you could do better than that as a difference, and more than $10,000 in a e-fund probably can go into something less liquid.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement