UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75375  
Subject: Re: Index fund investing versus stock selection Date: 10/6/2007 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
..."You're young, invest aggressively, you can deal with the risk and volatility since you won't need this money for 10+ years. Your best bet is to build a small portfolio of high-quality growth stocks".....

You also need to consider that if you loose $10,000 now that that loss will also cut down your retirement money dramatically since it will not compound for many decades. For example a stock portfolio might be expected to double every ten years(after inflation). If you are 25 now, by the time you are 85 that $10K could have doubled 6 times and be worth $320K in today’s dollars!.

...Although I'm disheartened at the level and tone of advertising that these services have developed,...

Go to a used book store or library and check out a Motley Fool book from the mid to late 90’s and look what they had to say about newsletters back then.

...I've been very impressed by the quality of these products...

Over the years they have probably had 20 different portfolios or newsletters. It is not surprising that the ones that remain look good. Google “survivorship bias”.

Over the last five years the NASDAQ 100 has more than doubled after the dot com crash.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=QQQQ&t=5y

One of my pet peeves about the advertisements is that sometimes compare their results to the S&P 500 index but lots of the stock that are recommended are not part of the S&P 500

Greg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement