Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443848  
Subject: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 6:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
I'm writing this from an Internet cafe, to which I retreated in order to heal my poor irradiated body with therapeutic doses of espresso, scones, and brownies.

About an hour ago I arrived home from the hospital, and made an immediate beeline for my handy-dandy Geiger counter (you remember, the one I bought in the aftermath of 9-11). I switched it to "gamma rays" and waved it in the general direction of my torso. Yikes! I'm radiating gamma rays at the rate of 100 microsieverts an hour. To give you a sense of proportion, the city of Fukushima is currently at about 0.02 microsieverts per hour. I wonder if all these nice people near me in the cafe have any idea what walked into their midst?

Well, the last brownie seems to have overcome the glow-in-the-dark evil mojo of the "nuclear stress test" I underwent this morning. The radioisotope of Tecnicium that they infused into my bloodstream has a half-life of only six hours, so my glow is already starting to fade.

Here's to the therapeutic benefits of scones with clotted cream and raspberries!

Loren
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419634 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Oh dear, Loren, I'm afraid I'm pretty much out of it.
Why are you radiating? Whazzup?

AM
...mushroom...

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419635 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 7:08 PM
Recommendations: 4
my friends, may I introduce Loren Cobb

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SMumy9Saqck/TBq9pVknXOI/AAAAAAAABs...

aka Radioactive MAN!

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419638 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 7:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
Why are you radiating? Whazzup?

In a word, heart issues. They like to inflict a nuclear stress test on me once a year, to see how much oxygen the heart muscle is getting. They pump me full of radioactive Tecnicium, and then I spend 20 minutes without moving while a giant gamma-ray detector takes slow pictures from many different directions. Then I hook up with an octopus-like EKG monitor, and grind away on a treadmill until my heart can't stand it anymore. Then it's back to the cold mechanical embrace of the gamma-ray scanner for another set of pictures. A clever little computer algorithm then recreates a 3-D rotating image of my heart for a cardiologist to admire.

Due to some wretched electrical problems, I am no longer able to do the treadmill thing without bizarre EKG excitement, so they use a chemical vasodilator to simulate the effects of heavy exercise. I call it adding chemical insult to radioactive injury. The whole thing takes at least three hours, after which some serious coffee-shop therapy is indicated.

Loren

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419641 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 7:45 PM
ditto

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419642 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
In a word, heart issues. They like to inflict a nuclear stress test on me once a year, to see how much oxygen the heart muscle is getting. They pump me full of radioactive Tecnicium, and then I spend 20 minutes without moving while a giant gamma-ray detector takes slow pictures from many different directions. Then I hook up with an octopus-like EKG monitor, and grind away on a treadmill until my heart can't stand it anymore. Then it's back to the cold mechanical embrace of the gamma-ray scanner for another set of pictures. A clever little computer algorithm then recreates a 3-D rotating image of my heart for a cardiologist to admire.

of possible small comfort...

they did that to me every year for , I think six years

being claustrophobic I started feeling DREAD about is
two weeks after (first time it took seven hours I was
screaming so much )

now they just do an ultrasound ...

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419645 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 8:19 PM

Due to some wretched electrical problems, I am no longer able to do the treadmill thing without bizarre EKG excitement, so they use a chemical vasodilator to simulate the effects of heavy exercise. I call it adding chemical insult to radioactive injury. The whole thing takes at least three hours, after which some serious coffee-shop therapy is indicated.

Loren

----------------

Wow! You deserve a donut!
Or...better yet... change your diet to vegetables, fruit, beans, and grains. No dairy. No animal products. Not much fat.

I hope all will be well - that just seems like a lot to put you through.
Some days I just don't realize how lucky I've been --- so far --- knock on wood. :)

AM

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419646 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 8:25 PM
That's almost exactly what they did to me about three weeks ago. I was wondering how much I was radiating. Thanks for the info!

The only difference was that they sent me out to eat a fatty meal before having the second scan. There was something said about the fat keeping my radioactivity level out of one of my organs.

I do wonder what would have happened if i had headed straight for the big airport and tried to get through security on my way to the plane.

Ted

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419649 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 8:42 PM
Or...better yet... change your diet to vegetables, fruit, beans, and grains. No dairy. No animal products. Not much fat.

Based on a link from the nutrition thread, better is a diet of fruits, nuts, veggies, beans/legumes, and olive oil.

:-)

1poorguy (was really interested in the input received!)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419650 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/22/2013 8:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
The only difference was that they sent me out to eat a fatty meal before having the second scan. There was something said about the fat keeping my radioactivity level out of one of my organs.

I do wonder what would have happened if i had headed straight for the big airport and tried to get through security on my way to the plane.

interesting .. when they did it to me they sent me out for lunch,
but made no recommendation what to eat

they did give me a note in case I tried to get on a plane and set off the sensors

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419698 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/24/2013 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 2
"About an hour ago I arrived home from the hospital, and made an immediate beeline for my handy-dandy Geiger counter (you remember, the one I bought in the aftermath of 9-11). I switched it to "gamma rays" and waved it in the general direction of my torso"

I don't have many friends who would have thought of that.

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419703 of 443848
Subject: Re: Radiating! Date: 3/25/2013 1:11 AM
Joel: I don't have many friends who would have thought of that.

Thanks, I guess. I'm not sure, but it's possible that might say more about your friends than about me. Then again, I suppose not everyone has a Geiger counter, for reasons I cannot fathom.

I was on sabbatical in England when Chernobyl blew up. The newspapers showed maps of Europe with a widening cloud of radioactive dust drifting across northern Scandinavia and then down over the British Isles. Everyone was told to stay indoors, and to avoid certain foods. They did tests on Welsh lambs, and found that in a typical herd there would be one single lamb that was radiating like hell, while all the rest were clean. That was when I vowed never again to be without a Geiger counter.

When I was a kid, living in New Mexico in the 1950s, the world was going crazy with atmospheric nuclear testing. My father made a Geiger counter from a kit that he bought, and we took readings every day for many months. As regular as clockwork, we would see a spike in ambient radiation about a week after each test in the South Pacific.

Here is the unit that I have, a Gamma Scout manufactured in Germany:
http://www.mentalsocket.com/reviews/gammascout/index.html

When the battery runs out (not user replaceable), I plan to replace it with one of those Russian military units.

Loren

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement