Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Raise your hand (or hit reply) if you are comfortable with investing 60-100% of your total investible assets with the BI strategy as described in TTD (including the recent modification of adding 5 year downside stocks, re #464.)

If not, why not?

- You are buying the most recognized, highly capitalized stocks on the planet.

- You have a pre-programmed entry and exit strategy.

- The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 mitigated the tax liability to a manageable (though far from ideal) amount if you stick with the year-and-a-day strategy.

(By the way, if you are interested in tax history, I found an interesting summary here, although I know nothing of the source): http://home.att.net/~Resurgence/TaxTimeline.htm

- You are buying equities at the bottom end of the curve, so that they may tend to move with less of a downside than the index as a whole.

I am trying to think of a compelling reason not to utilize this strategy for the bulk of a person's investible assets, especially given the prevailing "wisdom" that the market as a whole will be trading sideways or down for the forseeable future. The BI backtest shows that in the worst of recent times, BI treads water (-5.13% in 1974) with a tremendous near-term upside if you stick with it a few years.

Comments? I'm interested to know how people are planning with or practicing BI. Being both a stock investor and a worrier, I am also interested on anyone's take on BI's "crashworthyness."
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement