UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58844  
Subject: Raising Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook Gunman) Date: 2/17/2013 3:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hartford Courant has an in-depth story on the Lanza boy's upbringing.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/newtown-sandy-hook-s...

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47939 of 58844
Subject: Re: Raising Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook Gunman) Date: 2/17/2013 8:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
What a sad story. I think if I;d had to deal with this (as the mother OR the child) day in and day out, I might've drunk myself into oblivion.

It's kind of tied in my mind to many of the other things we discuss around here like unemployment/underemployment/meaningful work, health insurance, saving/investing, retirement. Before we had such diagnoses as autism, I think such people were called retarded or painfully shy or even schizophrenic or possessed by demons. Some were put in asylums.

I have a second cousin once removed with moderate Asperger's (I guess that diagnosis is gone now?). I don't know where he'd be without his caring and wealthy parents. His mother has gotten him into every good program in the area. He's an adult now, and through their connections have made sure he's able to work consistently--since it doesn't matter how much he makes or even if he's paid at all, the sky's the limit. He's currently a library assistant at the biggest branch of our county library. A paid driver takes him to and from his job when a parent isn't available. There are trust funds in place to care for him for life in the best possible conditions. At one point he was living in a group home with a therapist, but I think he's back with his parents. I don't know much about what his life or his parents' lives would be like without finances and connections to smooth the way.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47946 of 58844
Subject: Re: Raising Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook Gunman) Date: 2/17/2013 3:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
alstroemeria writes,

I have a second cousin once removed with moderate Asperger's (I guess that diagnosis is gone now?). I don't know where he'd be without his caring and wealthy parents.

From reading the article, it appears to me that the Lanza family was willing to devote whatever resources were necessary for their son. But as the advisor to to the high school computer club (who had a day job as a private investigator and a concealed permit for a gun) said, "someone with Adam Lanza's problems shouldn't have access to guns."

You saw the same recklessness in the shooting of the famed Navy Seal sniper in a Texas rifle range. He was apparently trying to help fellow veterans suffering from PTSD by taking them to a shooting range. I'd be surprised if that was the recommended treatment for that condition.

intercst

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47948 of 58844
Subject: Re: Raising Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook Gunman) Date: 2/17/2013 4:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
"I have a second cousin once removed with moderate Asperger's (I guess that diagnosis is gone now?)" - alstromeria

My baby sister's oldest son has asperger's. I also think he is socially retarded. A real mess. When he was little we knew he was really different but we didn't know what the hell was wrong with him. It was torture being around him for too long. My baby sister says that people don't know how she suffered. She also had a younger son that was pretty normal, just dyslexic, but the oldest son with asperger's was really mean to the younger son.

The Aspergers son tried to have an account on Facebook but he couldn't handle it. People with aspergers say inappropriate things at inappropriate times and since they seem to lack empathy he would say all kinds of inappropriate things and end up getting kicked off Facebook.

Trust me, it's messed up.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement