No. of Recommendations: 0

If you are only concerned about maintaining your cost basis on the total value of your holding in the mutual fund why don't you just edit the name of the fund? I assume you purchased B shares because they were the “deferred load” types. A type shares you pay the load up front, thus reducing the amount of your investment from day one.
The other difference between A and B shares is the fees, with the A shares sporting a somewhat reduced total cost.

Open your investment register and click on detail view then edit. Type in the new name and your done. In my case I own one mutual fund that I purchased at one time and tagged “Class B” as part of the name. I could just change the B to A and be done with it. Since then I have received both short and long term capital gains which I have automatically reinvested. When I receive a statement I just make the new entries in my register. Quicken shows my cost basis in the detail view.

Hope this helps,
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.