Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gocanucks Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20538  
Subject: random ideas Date: 10/10/2012 2:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
i was in a bit of funk last few months with new idea generation. i also discovered sitting on cash seems to demoralize myself. just in the last few days, i am starting to find more ideas and become more motivated.

FDX: wow. when was the last time a big-cap company just detail how they will produce $3 extra EPS regardless of macro? which large cap industrial company has a division accounting over 1/2 of profits growing volume at 10% clip and have structural cost advantage over the incumbent? this growth-at-any-cost company now cites rails' playbook? i haven't felt this excited about a large-cap name since GOOG/NWSA.

YHOO: yeah. same old thesis. stock hasn't gone anywhere in 2 years, but that's the beauty. assets quality/visibility have all improved. Big capital return on the horizon. Dynamic new CEO. Core biz essentially at $1/share despite throwing off 70c FCF. if turn-around doesn't work, there is that AOL playbook (which is just up 130% YTD). downside is dead money, but upside? sure feels better than cash.

AVP: admittedly dubious business model. looks expensive on current earnings, but margin is way below average/peers. Did people see the new chairman? He has only turned around and sold 2 giant companies before. (Pharmacia and SGP). there was some poster on this board (sorry i forgot his handle) a while ago with a turn-around candidate checklist. AVP seems to fit that template to a T.

INTC: oh, the dreaded PC market. i admit i have no special insight here. but at least they don't have the terrible B/S of HPQ. one could make a case for their server chip division is worth most of current EV. It also sports over 4% dividend yield, which is an "accidental high yielder" to borrow a Cramer term.

CHKP: 15% FCF/EV. enough said. i freely admit i buy software companies at 15% FCF/EV with eyes closed.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement