Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30417  
Subject: Random thoughts Date: 3/5/2003 3:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been doing Atkins for just over 2 weeks, still in induction (I wasnt't doing it right the first week, still drinking coffee), have lost 7 lbs. I have been aware of Atkins for a long time but not done it because of fear of saturated fats, heart disease, etc. The newer reports have changed my mind. Some random thoughts:

1. People lose weight effectively on low-carb. There has been a lot of study that cutting calories 30% extends life significantly, the major proponent is Prof. Roy Walford, UCLA. Might LC extend life span in much the same way? Good subject for study?

2. The book Lights Out, by T.S. Wiley, is a very strong Atkins supporter. She says that humans evolved to eat carbs only around harvest time, late summer early fall, when the fruit ripened, we are naturally more active then, the days are longer. Maybe it is OK metabolically to eat more carbs for a couple of months without ill effects. Anyone read this book?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5364 of 30417
Subject: Re: Random thoughts Date: 3/5/2003 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Maybe it is OK metabolically to eat more carbs for a couple of months without ill effects. Anyone read this book?

Haven't read the book, but my first thought is that the number one "ill effect" would be weight gain.

After all, the fall harvest came right before the winter lean months, and fat storage would have been at it's peak in humans/animals, to ensure survival in those lean months.

SO, unless you plan to go days at a time without food all winter long, I don't think it would be a good idea to gorge on fruit and grains a couple of months a year.

impolite

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5365 of 30417
Subject: Re: Random thoughts Date: 3/5/2003 4:00 PM
2. The book Lights Out, by T.S. Wiley, is a very strong Atkins supporter. She says that humans evolved to eat carbs only around harvest time, late summer early fall, when the fruit ripened, we are naturally more active then, the days are longer. Maybe it is OK metabolically to eat more carbs for a couple of months without ill effects. Anyone read this book?

I haven't read it, but this is my own theory: Around harvest time, humans would get a big glut of carbs, windfall apples or whatever. Obviously, you want to take advantage of the windfall by eating as much as you can, all day every day until it's gone. Therefore, it makes sense to store all those carbs as fat so you can use the calories later.

Author: BouncingBear Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5370 of 30417
Subject: Re: Random thoughts Date: 3/6/2003 1:27 AM
Recommendations: 1
1. People lose weight effectively on low-carb. There has been a lot of study that cutting calories 30% extends life significantly, the major proponent is Prof. Roy Walford, UCLA. Might LC extend life span in much the same way? Good subject for study?

namkato,

this is high up there on my list of things. There is a huge amount of evidence about life spans increasing with fewere calories. This is just one more reason or motivation not to substitute strange carbs for cravings for carbs.

I have been a little wacky without the carbs, but its not that out of hand, does not last.

db

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5372 of 30417
Subject: Re: Random thoughts Date: 3/6/2003 9:07 AM
. The book Lights Out, by T.S. Wiley, is a very strong Atkins supporter. She says that humans evolved to eat carbs only around harvest time, late summer early fall, when the fruit ripened, we are naturally more active then, the days are longer. Maybe it is OK metabolically to eat more carbs for a couple of months without ill effects.

I haven't read the book, but maybe its OK metabolically to eat more carbs (not the refined kind!) if you're always active, period.

Andrea

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement