Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Let me clarify what I said in my response. What I said wasn't strictly correct, in a case where a single employer is responsible for the over-withholding. Here's a quote from the IRS instructions for Form 1040 (from <>)...
Line 62
Excess Social Security and
RRTA Tax Withheld

If you, or your spouse if filing a joint return,
had more than one employer for 1999 and
total wages of more than $72,600, too much
social security tax may have been withheld.
You can take a credit on this line for the
amount withheld in excess of $4,501.20. But
if any one employer withheld more than
$4,501.20, you must ask that employer to
refund the excess to you. You cannot claim
it on your return. Figure this amount sepa-
rately for you and your spouse...
This is from the horse's mouth! (so to speak...)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.