UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: doubtit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1963176  
Subject: Rationing health care Date: 10/5/2012 6:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What U think?

Beginning in 2014, IPAB would consist of 15 unelected technocrats whose recommendations for reducing Medicare costs must be enacted by Congress by Aug. 15 of each year. If Congress does not enact them, or other measures achieving the same level of cost containment, IPAB’s proposals automatically are transformed from recommendations into law. Without being approved by Congress. Without being signed by the president.

These facts refute Obama’s Denver assurance that IPAB “can’t make decisions about what treatments are given.” It can and will by controlling payments to doctors and hospitals. Hence the emptiness of Obamacare’s language that IPAB’s proposals “shall not include any recommendation to ration health care.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-romneys......

Seems likely health care will be rationed at the expense of the poor and some of the middle class

An 85 year old poor person that is 200+ pounds overweight may not get "free" very expensive medical procedures -

A fat rich 85 year old can pay for very expesive medical procedures

10-4
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821582 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/5/2012 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
What U think?

Beginning in 2014, IPAB would consist of 15 unelected technocrats whose recommendations for reducing Medicare costs must be enacted by Congress by Aug. 15 of each year. If Congress does not enact them, or other measures achieving the same level of cost containment, IPAB’s proposals automatically are transformed from recommendations into law. Without being approved by Congress. Without being signed by the president.

These facts refute Obama’s Denver assurance that IPAB “can’t make decisions about what treatments are given.” It can and will by controlling payments to doctors and hospitals. Hence the emptiness of Obamacare’s language that IPAB’s proposals “shall not include any recommendation to ration health care.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-romneys.........

Seems likely health care will be rationed at the expense of the poor and some of the middle class

An 85 year old poor person that is 200+ pounds overweight may not get "free" very expensive medical procedures -

Last year when Aetna cut off my physical therapy in spite of my orthopedist's professional opinion that I needed more, that was rationing.

Author: FKJacobs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821605 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/5/2012 8:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
Even with a single payer system health care will always be rationed to the poor and middle class...

It is the function of a free market that some people cannot afford care or really advanced care.

Even in a free country with a single payer system the 1% will get better care... But at least in such a system with health care payed for by taxes "on all" everyone will get some basic level of care.

Though in "Romney world" where only those with Money to pay will get it at all...

Author: doubtit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821623 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/5/2012 9:32 PM
Though in "Romney world" where only those with Money to pay will get it at all...

Please reduce your medication

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821675 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/6/2012 6:43 AM
Though in "Romney world" where only those with Money to pay will get it at all

Almost...with money or jobs with benefits.
And it's not just Romney world, it's tea party/GOP world. It's what the current Congress wants, too. I'm at least as scared of them as of Romney.

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821689 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/6/2012 8:45 AM
People have been self-rationing a bit lately. Usage of healthcare is down in the last couple of years.

Some folks, myself included, don't really want to end our years in pain with life extended indefinitely with increasingly expensive technology for the sole reason of protecting our loved ones from feeling guilty that they "didn't do all they could."

Death with dignity would be preferred by many more people that some might imagine.

Sympathetic palliative care is cheaper than spending massive amounts of cash trying to postpone the inevitable.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821749 of 1963176
Subject: Re: Rationing health care Date: 10/6/2012 11:44 AM

And that would be a good analogy for the difference in care that Dick Cheney has been provided and the rest of the world.
If you can pay out of pocket, you will go to the head of the line; true in every system in the world. That is one reason there are objective professional teams in the triage of the allocation of limited medical resources among patients. It's these same studies that Palinites quote out of context to confuse people with charges of "Death Panels."

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement