UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883732  
Subject: Rats redux Date: 11/26/2012 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
If you remember, the rat wrangler set out traps in our attic the day before Thanksgiving. He was out of town visiting relatives for a few days over the holiday weekend, up at Pawley's Island, one of the lowcountry's lovely sea islands, where he took his 7-year-old son fishing for trout (with some success :-) He came back early to check our traps over the weekend...5 dead rats! I've been singling it like the Christmas carol's "5 go-old rings" (4 calling birds, 3 French hens, 2 turtle doves...).

Ahem. After DH accompanied him to the attic to do the gruesome deed, we chatted while he stood in my foyer carrying a plastic bag with 5 De-ad Rats. I was surprised there were so many--I thought I heard a single rat up there in the night. He said this is nuthin'--he once cught 78 rats in a single residential attic (eek!).

He was planning to return this morning to check the rebaited traps, clean up rat poop and where they messed up the insulation, and to repair the eaves, but I put him off to tomorrow afternoon so the hubster can be here to watch & learn. He's feeling more like he could handle this if it happens again. Or he's placating me, sometimes it's hard to tell.

LBYM tie-in
I redid the retirement budget One More Time with an increase in the Maintenance subcategory within HOUSING. This year--our house's 10th--we've had to deal with rats, replacing the dishwasher and repairing the floor where it leaked, replacing all the smoke detectors and most of the outside lighting, and now the fridge is on the fritz: the filtered water stopped working plus some items are freezing--especially in the veggie drawer. I moved the salad fixings from the drawer to a higher shelf and now keep root vegetables in the drawer...frozen beets, carrots, fennel bulb and parsnips beat frozen lettuce, cabbage, mushrooms, avocado, celery and scallions. The hubster pulled out the fridge and gave it an (overdue-) thorough cleaning, including unscrewing the back panel. Then reset the thermostat to a warmer setting. So far, no luck. And our heat pump seems a bit flaky as well. sigh. I guess 10 years with very little maintenance spending was pretty good...perhaps we should switch to leasing homes the way some people lease cars to avoid maintenance costs!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement