Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ibbieta Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36135  
Subject: Re: Poduct Warning Date: 3/7/2003 11:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
RaVeN69 warns:
What I am referring to are the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX surround speakers. If you are in the market for some speakers, DON'T buy these...

I have to say that I am surprised that you were unsatisfied with your Klipsch speakers. I bought a set of the 4.1 a few years ago (before the 5.1 were around) and I haven't had a lick of trouble with them. These are GREAT speakers.

When I moved a few months ago, I waited a while before unpacking and setting up my Klipsch speakers because it was quicker and easier to set up my old two-speaker setup with a mid-range pair of speakers. For months I delayed setting up my room to accommodate the 4.1 system. I finally set them up and the difference in sound quality and direction dramatically improved. My gaming experience improved and I now listen to my MP3s again. I had forgotten how good music on the computer could sound, and I say this as someone who is basically tone-deaf. Do yourself a favor, get decent speakers if you are a gamer.

Now, I assume from you message that it is likely just the 5.1s that have this problem. The Klipsch are widely regarded as some of the best sounding computer speakers out there. What do you think would make a good replacement? My current set does not have a headphone jack on the desktop satellite and, while this is not enough to have me go out and throw down several hundred dollars, I will want to replace this unit eventually. I haven't tested all that many different computer speakers but of the ones I have heard, the Klipsch are far and away the best sounding. I use mine at less than 1/3 volume because I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb my neighbors, but even at that volume I can hear opponents footsteps in America's Army and tell which direction they are coming from.

At an even lower volume I remember watching Fight Club one night and sitting a few feet back from my monitor. At the end there is this big explosion and I felt the wind generated from the bass unit on my shins. Totally sweet. Can other computer speakers compare to that?

--ibbieta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement