Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96710  
Subject: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 8:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Entertaining game; Congratulations Zippy, Chris.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tonyromo1741 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93580 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 9:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
where's our west coast friend 99lashes today?

he'd be in here beating his chest if the 49ers had won...

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93581 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 11:22 AM

Maybe she's taking a cue from the head coach on how to be classy. It seems to be a requirement of the team, although someone may have forgotten to inform Rod.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93582 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 11:37 AM
where's our west coast friend 99lashes today?

I took advantage of an uncrowded gym yesterday and this am.

I am toning up for next year and YOU?

PS Ravens played awesome and even then barely got out with the win, but a win nonetheless. It could have gone either way.

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93583 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 11:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
So I guess we assume it took the Ravens 4 yrs to recover from Rex Ryan.

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93584 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 12:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
Well, starting today, I can officially unhate the Ravens now.

Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93585 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 7
Well, starting today, I can officially unhate the Ravens now.

But you don't have to.

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93586 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 3:30 PM
Stupid Nate Silver.

--Rod

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93587 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/4/2013 4:18 PM
Stupid Nate Silver.

--Rod

But the Madden simulator was pretty right on.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/4/3950434/madden-nfl-13-super-...

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93594 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/5/2013 9:18 AM
I will never unhate the Ravens. Even though they don't have Ray-Ray anymore, due to their presence in the Steelers' division they are still one of the lowest forms of life and fully deserving of complete hatred.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93596 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/5/2013 8:46 PM
"Even though they don't have Ray-Ray anymore"

It amazes me that no one seems to care that he was involed in a murder.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93597 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/5/2013 9:12 PM

People care, but they were impressed by Ray-Ray's sense of honor. "Yes your honor. No, your honor."

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93598 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/5/2013 10:25 PM
Recommendations: 3

The charges were dropped, however. More than likely the charges were only filed as a way to rachet up the pressure on him to sing.

Author: LordFoolman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93600 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/6/2013 10:53 PM
"Even though they don't have Ray-Ray anymore"

People care about murders. There are something like 20,000 murders a year here in the US. Another 50,000 fatal auto accidents, and another 30-50 thousand deaths because of heath issues (cancer, heart disease, etc). People die like crazy in the land of 300 million.

What is important?

Author: JimZipCode Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93607 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/11/2013 12:28 AM
Entertaining game; Congratulations Zippy, Chris.

Thanks Mick!

Shocking circumstance, I doubt I have processed it yet. But very nice. One of the things that started to make it more real to me was, I was watching PTI the next day, and Kornheiser opened with, "On today's episode, [blah blah blah]. But we begin today with the Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens." That was nice. I re-wound it a couple times to hear him say it again. I suspect that won't get old over the next 9 months.

Super fun to see Flacco on Letterman and Live with Regis & Strahan; Harbaugh on Letterman. Both of those guys are graceful & engaging in the spotlight; it's nice to see them get it. I am particularly happy for Flacco, who has faced a ton of scrutiny in his career, and who never has to hear that stuff again. The SB MVP award is life-changing for a QB, or more accurately for the discussion around a QB. Flacco strikes me as a good, basic guy who works hard and likes his teammates. I suspect that this elite/non-elite stuff that has swirled around, confused him. Now that stuff goes away (or at least, the volume on it gets turned down from 11 to, like, 2). Step up once like that, and you get the benefit of the doubt for years after. Which is nice.

Otherwise – it's great, but it's tough to fully understand, in the sense of, does that mean the Ravens were the best team? I'm pretty sure they weren't, though they had fantastic resilience. So then what does it mean?

Your guys won a surprise Super Bowl or two in the past ~5 years. My sense is, under circumstances that were very similar: good teams with a puncher's chance, who played with great resolve when the fire got hottest, and ran the table. How do you process it? Does it place those teams among the best ever? Does it “merely” solidify your franchise's position among the greatest in its sport? Do you just feel grateful when your team is able to snag one of those baubles, no matter the circumstance? (Ie, concern about who is the “best” team is for stat nerds; I'll savor the trophy, thanks.) Or what?

Author: JimZipCode Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93608 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/11/2013 1:22 AM
The charges were dropped, however. More than likely the charges were only filed as a way to rachet up the pressure on him to sing.

This I believe is the conventional wisdom in Baltimore. It was my own take on the situation back then. I think the average Baltimore fan thinks the scenario went something like this:

• Ray saw something before the guys were killed (maybe an argument, that preceded the violence by say 30 mins)
• Ray stonewalled the cops out of a ghetto sense of what snitching is
• the DA charged Ray to put pressure on him
• Ray got professional legal advice (probably from someone the Ravens brought into the picture) and cut the deal

In this scenario, Ray is not guilty of the murders. Who could imagine him carrying a knife, anyway? Of course he got sued: he's the one with the money and the national profile. And of course he settled, rich people often settle, it's not worth the time & expense & headlines to try. And maybe Ray had an extra feeling of responsibility, like he should have done more.

That's the 30,000 foot view that I think most Ravens fans have. We've heard him say occasionally that someone (a cop? the DA?) told him "We know you didn't do it, but we're gonna get YOU anyway." It helped that none of his coaches and teammates seemed to think he could have done it. Ray's subsequent transformation into God-fearing spiritual leader, and 12 years of exposure to his personality, have sealed the deal.

I've never spoken to a Ravens fan who followed the trial closely. After the DA dropped the murder charges, the proceedings were interesting only – and not that interesting. So I think most of Baltimore is completely ignorant of the testimony in the case. And it's fair to ask whether that has been a "willful" ignorance: we didn't want to know.

Patch and BD made me aware during the playoffs that there were disturbing aspects to the case. Like, the murders did not occur right there in the parking lot, but a ways down the road. Ray's white suit has never been recovered. And so forth. So there are other possible narratives that fit the facts. Maybe the fact that Oakley & Sweeting were acquitted is itself similar: they were not-guilty because Lewis himself was the real perpetrator, and his attorneys had maneuvered him out of the dock.

I guess we'll never really know.

I just spent 10 mins reading more about the case than I have in a dozen years. The stuff I saw about Ray Lewis' testimony, makes me more convinced that he was innocent, than I was after the AFCC (when I read his wiki page). But I guess we'll never know.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93609 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/11/2013 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 4
What is this Super Bowl you guys keep referring to?

wolverine
- Lions fan

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93610 of 96710
Subject: Re: Ravens Win Date: 2/11/2013 8:37 AM
How do you process it? Does it place those teams among the best ever? Does it “merely” solidify your franchise's position among the greatest in its sport? Do you just feel grateful when your team is able to snag one of those baubles, no matter the circumstance?

C, it's always better to be lucky than good. And even when your team is good, there's a high chance it's still luckier than skilled but you can't spot that as clearly.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement