Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96082  
Subject: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/16/2012 9:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--legendary-punter-ray-guy-f...

Guy developed a penchant for kicking the ball out of bounds. This was hard to do because kicking out of bounds is not as precise as booting the ball straight downfield. There was greater risk for "shanking" the ball or hitting off the side of the foot and having it wobble only a few yards in the air. But soon he perfected the technique of dropping kicks off the sideline inside the 20-yard line. This cut down on his yards-per-kick but it also eliminated returns. It seemed at the time a fair tradeoff.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92854 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/17/2012 2:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
But does he belong in the Hall of Fame?

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92855 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/17/2012 5:25 AM
Recommendations: 2
But does he belong in the Hall of Fame?

I think there are 2 major reasons for a player to make the HoF. One is that they are in the top 25 of all time at their position. This would include people like Johnny Unitas, Jerry Rice, Nate Newton, etc. The other reason would be that someone fundamentally changed the nature of the game. Coaches often get in under that criteria and I think Ray Guy falls into that category. He not only changed the way punters did their job, be also changed the way coaches approached punts.

Calabogie

Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92856 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/17/2012 9:05 AM
Absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt.
Ray Guy is the originator of the modern punter and changed the nature of the position forever.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92857 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/17/2012 11:54 AM
"I think there are 2 major reasons for a player to make the HoF. One is that they are in the top 25 of all time at their position."

What happens when that magic number is reached? Should surpassed players be removed? Let's take QBs. If the first one enshrined threw for X number of TDs, and amassed X number of passing yards and won one Superbowl, but these numbers have been gradually eclipsed by more than 25 others, should he be dropped because his accomplishments no longer measure up? This could be a contentious issue among fans.

I would add one more criteria. Players achieving a singular feat that made a game memorable, like Tom Dempsey's 63 yard field goal.

~aj
-just musing.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92860 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/18/2012 11:41 AM
Man, I can't believe what he looks like compared to the days I remember him on the Oakland Raiders. Looks like he's aged half a century.

Author: AfoolwondersNot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92875 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/19/2012 12:19 AM
"But does he belong in the Hall of Fame?"

Yep

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92876 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/19/2012 5:50 AM
What happens when that magic number is reached? Should surpassed players be removed? Let's take QBs. If the first one enshrined threw for X number of TDs, and amassed X number of passing yards and won one Superbowl, but these numbers have been gradually eclipsed by more than 25 others, should he be dropped because his accomplishments no longer measure up? This could be a contentious issue among fans.

Taking that a little bit literally dude. lol Obviously no one should lose their HoF status but when someone is nominated who meets those requirements they should be seriously considered. I think it's pretty clear that some of the first groups enshrined may not meet the requirements of todays nominees but no one is suggesting they be removed.

I would add one more criteria. Players achieving a singular feat that made a game memorable, like Tom Dempsey's 63 yard field goal.

I'm not sure about that one. Yes, it was the single greatest kick for many many years but I'm just not sure that a single accomplishment, no matter how great is enough to propel someone to HoF status. I could be convinced but at this point I'm just not sure enough about it to support that idea.

Calabogie

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92884 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/19/2012 11:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
I would add one more criteri[on]. Players achieving a singular feat that made a game memorable, like Tom Dempsey's 63 yard field goal.

I'm not sure about that one. Yes, it was the single greatest kick for many many years but I'm just not sure that a single accomplishment, no matter how great is enough to propel someone to HoF status. I could be convinced but at this point I'm just not sure enough about it to support that idea.

Easy. Put the field goal in the HOF. Great moments, great games, records, whatever. Dempsey doesn't get his own statue, but the field goal should be commemorated (and probably is... I've only visited once, and it was a loooong time ago). Player enshrinement should be for guys whose body of work changed the game and/or were considered in the top 3 (or pick some other small number) at their position over an extended time.

Ray Guy should be in the Hall.

-n8 (Speaking of punters, didn't we have a punter expert around here somewhere once? What's he been up to?)

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92886 of 96082
Subject: Re: Ray Guy Bestest Punter Ever Date: 11/19/2012 4:02 PM
"Ray Guy should be in the Hall."

This is a tough one for me. I can see both sides and feel uncomfortable arguing either.

Obviously he was the best in the game at his postion for basically his whole career. He revolutionized the act of punting.

Yet he only played 5 or 6 plays a game. Arguably the noname long forgetten left tackles on each of those Raider teams had a bigger influence on whether the team won or lost than Ray Guy did. It is hard for me to consider someone HoF worthy when they had such little influence on a teams fortunes.

"(Speaking of punters, didn't we have a punter expert around here somewhere once? What's he been up to?)"

I thought for sure he would make an appearance after Sam Koch scored that touchdown last week.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement