Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
rbm writes:
I want to make a $500 contribution to an educational IRA for my grandson during 1998. I am believe I am eligible but want to verify that my modified agi will meet the requirements. Regular income for 1998 will be in the $45K range but I will also have 1/4 of a Roth IRA conversion which will be taxed for this year that will put me in excess of the $95K to $110K phaseout level for single taxpayers. Should the 1/4 of the Roth Conversion be included in my modified AGI for purposes of eligibility to contribute to the educational IRA? Thanks for any help.

I'm afraid the conversion income *is* included in your modified AGI for determining eligibility to contribute. See IRS Publication 553, page 38:

One alternative is that you could make a $500 gift to your grandson or his parents, and they could make a $500 contribution to the education IRA. The limit is $500 per year total contributions for each beneficiary (child), so if they're already contributing $500 you wouldn't be allowed to contribute regardless of your AGI.

- Darrell
(not a tax expert...check with your tax advisor)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.