UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 11:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
RBMunkin,

You wrote, Does anyone here know how to report a case of fraud using a credit card? Someone used my card. I called the credit card company to have the account closed and have the transaction reversed. I called the company to which the card was used and they gave me the name of the person using my card. How do I report them?

Not to answer your question again; but...

The thief must be a real idiot. Else the merchant is the idiot.

How would the merchant and/or the credit card company know the person's real name? If the name they have is different from the name on the card, why would the merchant accept the card as payment? If the thief used your account for something that was in his name, he's just plain stupid. If he used a fake name that didn't match your's the merchant was foolish to give him the merchandise.

BTW: Good luck getting any police department to do anything about it. It's likely they don't have their best and brightest working small-time credit card fraud cases.

I assume you know your rights with the credit card company. You're generally not responsible for fraudlent charges. By law the credit card company can hold you liable for up to $50 in a fraud case; but if you're still in possession of the card and you didn't mishandle it, the wording of the law could be interpretted to shield you from any liablity at all. Just make sure you follow up any dispute with the credit card company in writing immediately. Most credit card companies will write it off or charge it back to the merchant if it's obvious you weren't the one that signed for the merchandise.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement